Forums Latest Members
  1. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 4, 2014

Here's a challenge for the esteemed experts on vintage and Antique watches. I am wearing this today, which prompted me to post the story of this watch on my family on the WRUW thread, but then I got more curious and opened the watch. now I am really curious.

This watch is supposedly been on my family for over a century, 4 generations (me being the 4th) 2 wars wrists WW1 and Spanish Civil War. This is what I know. and after opening what I have been able to gather, but perhaps my research is faulty?

1- Waltham American 1912-17? This fits the style and research but once I open the case...The watch maker that took a look at it when i got it did tell me it was a 1912-17 model.
    2 Movement 1029315 (I saw that listed as a 1901 movement? could be I guess a pocket watch movement transferred to wrist case?
    3- case: I.W.C co (Illinois watch company Napoleon (Gold Filled) 7213659 which I see listed as an 1897 case this seems very early to me for that style on a wrist band. i also always kind of wandered because my father said it was gold filled but I always assumed it was really brass or copper or something. but it seems that the Napoleon cases are 14K filled.
    4- when my father gave it to me he said he never himself serviced it or restored it. However once I opened it there are several markings that would imply service on 1992? perhaps his father serviced it prior to giving it to him? They have both passed away so hard to tell. are the initials and markings of any meaning outside of date?

Ok, here are the pictures, what else can anyone tell me?

_J3T9651.jpg _J3T9652.jpg _J3T9655.jpg IMG_0458.JPG IMG_0459.JPG
    Edited Dec 4, 2014
  2. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Dec 4, 2014

I would have put American Waltham changing to Waltham Watch Company around 1907 ?

3. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 4, 2014

Put it where? not sure I understand. You mean as a historic company name change or as part of this watches history. The movement reads American Waltham Watch Co. which is why I identify it as such. Am I wrong to do so?

I think Waltham went through several of these name changes, as did the Illinois case making company, but wouldn't that take an entire essay to cover?

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 4, 2014

5. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 4, 2014

Thank you. I'll check it out.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 5, 2014

First off, the serial number on the movement is 10293151. This is a Waltham Model 1891 movement, 0 size, 7 jewels, and should have a Breguet style balance spring. 0 size movements were used in pocket and wrist watches. The serial number puts the production of the movement in 1901.

The movement being 7 jewels means that the train has no jewels, and the only jewels are the 4 balance jewels (hole and cap jewels, upper and lower), the roller jewel (also called impulse pin) and this is on the roller table, which is on the balance staff, and the two 2 pallet fork jewels.

When you say it is an "1897 case" is this the year or the model? Keep in mind that Waltham used years for model numbers, so it can be confusing - for example the Waltham 1883 pocket watch I have on my bench was not made in 1883 - that is just the model designation.

Also note that when you bought a pocket watch in years gone past, you went to the store and picked out the movement you wanted and could afford, and then selected what case you wanted to go with it. These were sold separately so you could decide if you wanted to put the money into the movement, or the case, or both. It's possible this was in a pocket watch at some point, and then later transplanted into the wrist watch case.

If it was a pocket watch at some point, it was likely a ladies model.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Al

7. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 5, 2014

It does, thank you. Yes, I noticed the added 1 on the serial after posting this on the vintage watch forum.

I'm going on the date of the case based on the serial and an online source of Illinois watch case company serials. For what I read and your own feedback it does seem most probable the movement was originally a ladies watch adapted later into the case. There are several examples of this model all dating to 1912-17. I am guessing that's when this particular combo became popular. My great grandad supposedly got it on 1914 or around there to go to war. He was Scottish.

Thank you for your feedback.