Forums Latest Members
  1. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 28, 2020

...turn to face the strange.
    —David Bowie

I just got one too many annoying emails from Photobucket and I’ve decided to close my account. This means that a lot of my older posts (pre-2018) are soon going to show broken links rather than pictures.

I was able to download all my pictures from Photobucket to my computer and was able to keep my file structure intact. So now, I’m looking for suggestions for a new hosting site for them.

Here’s a few things I’m looking for:

1. The ability to do a mass upload and keep my file structure.

2. The ability to get URL’s for linking in a format compatible with this and other forums.

3. The ability to access through a mobile app which would also contain URL links.

I’ve tried Google Pictures, but there are some limitations there. Can’t direct link pictures and I have to create the file structure manually.

Has anyone else made this migration and what were your experiences, good or bad?

All suggestions welcome and thanks in advance.
    gatorcpa

2. SkunkPrince Sep 28, 2020

My photographer friend uses Smugmug and it meets your requirements. I have no personal experience with it.

3. janice&fred Sep 28, 2020

I'm using imgur for MWR and have been for a while. I also have a now paid (grudgingly) photobucket account that used to be free for many years and I'm not sure what to do with it as I don't want to lose the loads of pics on it but don't know how to easily download them all to our laptop.

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 28, 2020

That is the one thing Photobucket really did improve.

You create a file on your desktop to hold the pictures. You can then choose full galleries to download to a zip file. Extract the zip file to the new file you created and it will save a folder for each gallery in a separate file.
    gatorcpa

janice&fred and Pun like this.
  5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 28, 2020

Your old images should actually be fine, we spend a lot of money rehosting them locally on our servers so services like photobucket can't ruin our threads.

noelekal, timjohn, Uniqez and 26 others like this.
  6. Braindrain Sep 28, 2020

I use Flickr. Uploading via app works ok. Can get links for just about any web format. They do add some extraneous code for advertising. Very, very easy to get rid of by just deleting part of the link.

Used to be part of Yahoo, but sold to someone else. Still free, but who knows for how long? For any platform?

7. akshayluc420 Sep 29, 2020

I did not know that! Thank you OF team! :)

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 29, 2020

Photobucket went through months of downtime, not being able to upload, not being able to see 1/2 mug photos at any given time, and all sorts of other issues. But recently they brought the new site on line, and it’s quite good. They keep trying to get me to sign up for a more expensive account, sent me rather ominous emails, but I already have a $20/year account and have it set-up for auto payment and they have never actually forced me to change plans. I just keep paying that and it continues as always.

I considered switching, but it would be a huge effort to do this, and I’m glad I stuck with it. Not sure what sort of account you have, but if it’s one with a reasonable price, it might be worth staying with them.

Cheers, Al