Forums Latest Members

Certina, the best value in terms of value quality/reliability in terms of watches under 1000$

1. georgeszaslavsky Mar 21, 2020

Hello

We can enjoy watches from brands that are less well-known than the big names that have nevertheless produced very good watches. This was the case for Certina, which until before its takeover by the Swatch Group had produced watches of very good quality and defied IWC, Rolex, Omega and Zenith in this respect. One of the flagship ranges at Certina was the DS range, whose second generation was a huge success with more than 300,000 watches sold. My latest acquisition is the certina DS2 of 1966 with the more than excellent in-house calibre certina 25-651 , my fourth watch of this brand. This brand is unbeatable in terms of price/quality/reliability.

Have a nice weekend

With kind regards

Georges

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

0uss, TimeODanaos, ZIELSZIEK and 3 others like this.
  2. Canuck Mar 21, 2020

I have two Certinas which have Kurth/Certina movements , same as yours. I have long felt as you do that these movements rival movements for many top drawer brands in terms of features and finish. These movements are as nicely finished under the dial, as well. And the micrometer regulator is a feature that some of Certina’s competition didn’t have. I bought mine at a farm yard sale for $2.00 (she wanted 50 cents). The chrome case was heavily worn the dial was a mess, and I could sense that the rattle meant the rotor post was broken. So like the visitor to the animal shelter, I chose this one because it needed a good home......and I liked it. Re-chromed case, re-finished dial, new mainspring, new rotor post ($38.00, ouch), and recondition, and there you have it. A farmer’s watch resurrected to what you see here. P. S. I know it isn’t perfect, so if anyone is inclined to point that out, save your breath. :)

EBD5EBB2-0B4A-479C-906B-792B2D4A8F98.jpeg

0uss, wagudc, Spruce and 3 others like this.
  3. georgeszaslavsky Mar 24, 2020

Transaction was canceled because the caseback didn't match the model, moved on something much more rarer and better

4. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Mar 24, 2020

And worth it.

I bought this (almost 60 years old) on this forum for about £200. It ran like a dream but then stopped. I sourced a mounting ring from Finland, a setting lever spring and stem from Poland, and replacement hands from Holland and paid for a service and for the parts to be installed.

Works perfectly (I hope I’m not tempting providence) and is one of my favourites.

0D1A559B-5AD5-48D0-8DF8-29E28A87D460.jpeg

5. wagudc Mar 24, 2020

Puppy approved!

Spruce likes this.
  6. georgeszaslavsky Mar 25, 2020

Nice classic and wear it in good health

Spruce likes this.