Forums Latest Members

certificate of authenticity, ie., Extract of Archives help

1. luigi22 May 4, 2014

hi guys
    (mods, not sure if this is the right sub forum for this, please move wherever appropriate, thank you)
    have a 105.012/66 on the way, and wanted to order the COA from omega, which is not possible from the US, for some reason unknown to me. any of my comrades out there, canadian probably easiest, want to order one for me? takes 5 minutes on the omega website; i will prepay you on paypal for omega's fee of 90CHF and of course pay the postage fees for when it's time to mail the paper to me. since i'm paying for a 105.012, want to make sure the movement number actually is recorded in the archives as such.

thank you!

2. Steve in SoCal May 5, 2014

How funny i was thinking of posting the same request yesterday. Somebody could start a business ordering these on behalf of us in the USA.

3. hansmaulwurf Senior Snoopy Owner May 6, 2014

Hi Luigi22,

well - i live in Austria and maybe it is possible for me, but i looked up on the Omega Homepage and can`t find
    a hint for ordering a COA for a watch?
    If you tell me how, i can order that to austria and send it to you - wouldn`t be a problem - i have time for that :)

Regards
    Hans

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 6, 2014

5. hansmaulwurf Senior Snoopy Owner May 6, 2014

Ah okay, but:

"The Extract of the Archives is not a Certificate of Authenticity and does not guarantee the authenticity of a watch or its component parts. The Extract of the Archives contains detailed information from our archives which relates to your watch and how it left our facilities in Biel, as well as the exact production date of the watch..."

Regards
    Hans

MikiJ and ron n like this.
  6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 6, 2014

It's as close as a COA as you can get from Ω for vintage Omegas.

They don't provide actual Certificates of Authenticity (AFAIK)

7. luigi22 May 6, 2014

hi hans
    pm sent, thank you! JimInOz correct, that was my mistake - i meant to say extract of archives.

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 6, 2014

I think that these Extracts may be ordered in the USA through your local Omega Boutique. You should call the closest one for more details.
    gatorcpa

citizenrich likes this.
  9. sulaco May 6, 2014

I live in Germany and if i could be of help, just let me know

10. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices May 6, 2014

This is the same as an Extract from the Archives from Patek. It does not guarantee authenticity. Only a Patek "Certificate of Origin", that is originally issued with the watch, guarantees a authenticity.The last one I ordered from Patek was for my Patek #5024G and cost $125.US However it definitely helped when I sold my last Patek ;-( I understand that Vacheron will issue a new Certificate of Origin for their vintages pieces. I've been told this requires you to send them the watch for service with a request for this certificate. I was also told this takes a minimum of 6 months and, depending on service requirements, $2,500.US

11. Steve in SoCal May 6, 2014

Just called the Omega boutique at the Beverly Center in LA. The initial person had no idea what I was asking. Will call back later to escalate.[/quote]

12. chadpowe11 May 6, 2014

Hi im located in Canada and not a problem for me to order one as well. Just pm me. cheers

13. Northernman Lemaniac May 6, 2014

Anyone knows the story behind what the US guys did to become black-listed by Omega?
    Some creative US lawyers messing things up yet again??:whipped:

MikiJ likes this.
  14. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices May 6, 2014

As Al Capone said: "Two of those guy's with brief-cases can steal more money than six of my guys with Tommy-guns"!

Northernman likes this.
  15. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! May 6, 2014

I have ordered and received two extracts from Omega this year. I just filled out the form, including credit card info, and sent it to OmegaUSA customer service. They forwarded to Bienne and a few weeks later extracts were in hand.
    [​IMG]

16. luigi22 May 6, 2014

hey guys
    thanks very much for the offers and the advice, generous group here as always.

i called the local boutique today; they said they'd check into getting the extract. the guy started on some explanation about why this doesn't fly in the US, but when i pushed a little, it became a little more unclear to me - maybe you all have some thoughts. it was something like this: "lots of movements were shipped into the US separate from cases, with cases and movements assembled here in the US during that period. Therefore, omega does not have accurate records of what movements match with what cases". he was reluctant, therefore, to even enquire, until i told him that i sourced the watch from someone that was certain that its original point of purchase was France.

anyway, will wait for his followup, and try to drill into this a bit more next time i speak to him.
    thanks!

17. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 7, 2014

that is true actually, and a fair point.

18. Habitant May 7, 2014

Further to this, Zenith have now introduced a similar certificate service.

19. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 7, 2014

It is to a certain extent, and perhaps Omega Bienne wants to avoid "wild goose chases" for records that are incomplete. However, if this is correct, then that point should be made clear on their website to avoid further confusion.

FWIW, Longines (also a part of Swatch, and a sister company to Omega) used a similar national production system and offers the same service to their collectors via e-mail for free. If a watch was cased in the US, Longines just tells you that the raw movement was delivered to Longines-Wittnauer, the US importer.

I think Omega is full of you know what...
    gatorcpa

20. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 10, 2014

Quality movements and the highest level workmanship?
    :cool: