Forums Latest Members

Certainly not unique - but complications. Flame me - I had the dial changed.

1. IanES Oct 2, 2019

Speedmaster Automatic with day of the week and month in the top sub dial and day of the week around the track.

When I got this watch it had a silver dial. But around 10 years ago I started needing reading glasses and with silver hands and lots of silver subdials and subdial pointers all together on a silver dial it became difficult to see the time at a glance. I don't need glasses for walking or driving - just reading close up (and my arms aren't that long!)

So, anyway, had it serviced by Watches of Switzerland in Cardiff UK and at the same time asked them to change the dial for a black one. No idea if it's the correct dial for watch and, at that time, I didn't really care. I just remember, in the shop when I collected the watch, just being happy to be able to tell the time without glasses.

tripledate1024x768.jpg

I love this watch - currently my daily wearer.

Edited Oct 2, 2019
  2. JwRosenthal Oct 2, 2019

May be better suited to the modern Omega forum but the mods will move it if if bothers anyone.

I think there are several of us that have done this with watches we love as our eyes have aged (or sold them for a similar model with black dial). Like you, contrast is important for me. I can see fine print well, just not under dim light (like a restaurant menu by candle light). Ironic as I worked in a photographic darkroom for most of my career and could read the chemistry bottles under orange light without glasses.

My Airking as I it came from the factory
    3A95550F-1184-44D0-A802-A5EA52E97142.jpeg

After I sourced a black dial and handset
    E435026C-544C-48B5-B215-F11B8E422162.jpeg

wagudc likes this.
  3. Evitzee Oct 2, 2019

I see no issues in doing this, we too often over obsess about originality.

4. JwRosenthal Oct 2, 2019

Agreed. Nice thing about doing a "mod" like this, is if you keep your original dial, then if you every choose to sell you can offer both for the sale which I think would be a perk.

janice&fred likes this.
  5. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Oct 2, 2019

Can't see anything wrong with this sort of thing. Your watch - make it the way you want :thumbsup:

It's not like you're painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa.

6. JwRosenthal Oct 2, 2019

As a collector I get the whole keep it original thing, but changes like this that are totally reversible give the best of both worlds- you get the change you want and it can be put back to original if you want.
    I replaced the original beaten DNN bezel on my Speedy with a new service bezel and stashed the old one. It looks 100x better now and is totally reversible.

janice&fred likes this.