Forums Latest Members

Cement head won't agree that he has a fake vintage Memovox

1. lezlangdon Likes arguing with halfwits in need of girlfriends Nov 21, 2015

Edited by a mod Nov 24, 2015
  2. Northernman Lemaniac Nov 21, 2015

3. lezlangdon Likes arguing with halfwits in need of girlfriends Nov 21, 2015

can you elaborate please

4. Northernman Lemaniac Nov 21, 2015

From what I know, and I am open to be proven wrong, that watch have absolutely nothing to do with the manufacturer Jaeger LeCoultre, and their range of Memovox watches.
    Until proven wrong I will maintain my claim that the watch offered on eBay is as fake as a $12 bill.

5. Northernman Lemaniac Nov 21, 2015

Have had a second look. It is not only a fake, it's perhaps one of the worst I have seen in a while.

6. lezlangdon Likes arguing with halfwits in need of girlfriends Nov 21, 2015

as the pics are so poor how can you tell?

Northernman likes this.
  7. Northernman Lemaniac Nov 21, 2015

As in the design has nothing to do with a Memovox. The dial is wrong. The case is wrong. The Memovox used a separate dial for setting the alarm time, never a hand like on that hideous eBay listing.
    Nothing on that watch is even close.
    Run away!!

OMGRLX and styggpyggeno1 like this.
  8. lezlangdon Likes arguing with halfwits in need of girlfriends Nov 22, 2015

many thanks, I did wonder if the original comment was due to it being a Liverpool listing, but a detailed critique is always best

9. Georgieboy58 Nov 22, 2015

Even though it would technically be possible to replace the alarm time disc by a hand, I also haven't seen such an example yet (this thread shows a number of nice examples).
    Also none of the pieces here has LeCoultreCo on the dial, just on the movement.

Edited Nov 22, 2015
    lezlangdon likes this.
  10. lezlangdon Likes arguing with halfwits in need of girlfriends Nov 22, 2015

pictures of the movement should be definitive, but as yet the seller hasn't provided any

11. Northernman Lemaniac Nov 22, 2015

I am relatively certain you will find an AS alarm movement in there.
    ::confused2::

12. lezlangdon Likes arguing with halfwits in need of girlfriends Nov 22, 2015

Weren't US watches marketed as just LeCoultre for a extended period of time

13. Northernman Lemaniac Nov 22, 2015

Yes. But never LeCoultre Co.
    You will find Jaeger LeCoultre on non US dials, an LeCoultre on the US versions.
    US cased watches are normally fetching lower prices and are often seen with lower quality and finished cases (US and not Swiss made).

14. lezlangdon Likes arguing with halfwits in need of girlfriends Nov 22, 2015

but photos showing a 489 manual wind movement or an 813/814 auto movement might suggest its an American cased watch

15. Northernman Lemaniac Nov 22, 2015

Nope. Not in this case. Case and dial is fake.
    The dial, US or otherwise, never looked anything like it.

16. lezlangdon Likes arguing with halfwits in need of girlfriends Nov 22, 2015

I don't see how you can say the case is fake given the poor quality of the photos, it's stated as being 17j which would mean it's a very early manual wind version, and this too could match an early dial, the other watches for sale on ebay are 1960's watches, some auto and some date

17. Northernman Lemaniac Nov 22, 2015

The markings on the case is not how JLC would mark it. The style is wrong. I have studied alarm watches as basis for my collection. The story on the Memovox is well documented. The watch in question is a blatant fake.

Are you the seller?

NT931, lenny and arkstfan like this.
  18. lezlangdon Likes arguing with halfwits in need of girlfriends Nov 23, 2015

No I am not, are you a bidder. I would add that you make lots of [dismissive] comments and assertions but you need to evidence them. If you don't you might start to appear as a bully and or even a windbag.

Edited Nov 23, 2015
  19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 23, 2015

Not up to @Northernman to elaborate anymore it is a fake. Bully or wind bag when you are getting schooled by a well known collector........please do your own research, I picked it within 5 seconds vintage watch with modern lume dots....

OMGRLX, Modest_Proposal, Geo! and 2 others like this.
  20. ulackfocus Nov 23, 2015

If you don't like the answers you're getting, don't ask the question. The watch is a horrid fake, and any collector with some experience can tell that. You're defending the watch as if you're the seller who's trying to pass off that piece of shit as authentic. Knock it off.

And nobody here with half a brain would bid on it even if it were your money.

chronos, OMGRLX, michaelmc and 10 others like this.