Forums Latest Members

Caution when using loop with led light

1. Professor Jan 11, 2020

Had a serious scare about an hour ago.
    I went almost completely blind in my right eye. Still not cleared up but seems that its not permanent.
    I was using a set of loops on eye glass frames that have LED lights mounted on the side.
    The movement I was adjusting has brightly polished bridges. Apparently the reflection of the light was strong enough to cause a persistent after image that blanked out my vision. The affect was not immediate, it manifested about 5 -10 minutes later.

As I'm typing the effect has come back blanking out about 90% of the screen when I use only the right eye.
    Its not a single large spot but many smaller blotches with an overall dimness and flecks of very bright sparks.
    looking at the page from where I sit I can see only around one letter in ten with those partly erased. Standing a couple of feet further back the screen is blank.
    The left eye is not affected.

Anyone had this problem before?

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 11, 2020

Uh...nope!

Hope your eye is okay...

3. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jan 11, 2020

I accidentally flashed a new LED bike light in my eye. It hurt, really hurt, and took about an hour before all the ghost images went away. If we lived in the Marvel universe, we would both now be able to fly or have x-ray vision as a result of our incidents.

4. speedmistr Jan 11, 2020

Prof, how is your eye? Sounds similar to flash blindness which is supposed to be temporary. I hope it's returned to normal by now.

5. Flatfoot Jan 11, 2020

If you are seeing bright flashes of light in your eye, I strongly suggest you go see an eye doctor - or preferably an ophthalmologist as soon as possible.

The symptom you describe - especially with the flashes of light- is consistent with a retinal tear, detachment or perhaps other retinal problems. I’ve been where you are now- I’ve had a partial retinal detachment, and was able to get it treated successfully.

I can’t stress strongly enough to get yourself seen ASAP.

My fingers are crossed for you Professor!

6. Professor Jan 11, 2020

About eight hours after the blindness set in it went away suddenly and completely but now it seems to be coming back. This time its a small dark cloud at the upper left corner of the eye with some floaters. That's something that has happened before with no apparent reason.
    Just before it went away I took two Biotin tablets, Biotin helps the cells produce energy, and drank a instant breakfast drink. The extra energy may have helped the affected nerve cells repair or rearrange themselves. Took some multivitamins with minerals as well, I take these regularly.
    I had a cyst removed from my left eye socket because it was pressing on the optic nerve and retina many years ago, the optical patterns then were similar but without the white out.

As I've typed the dark cloud went away. I'd just eaten so my energy level is back up. This may have something to do with it.

In the last few years my eyesight had improved remarkably, so much so that I seldom wore glasses, but my vision seems to have had a setback in the last month or so.

Things are okay now. I'll let you know if anything changes.

Eve likes this.