Forums Latest Members

Cases sizes, thickness, and contours. Who wants a slimmer Omega?

1. Super Fuzz Oct 6, 2017

I know this topic comes up over and over in various threads. I wanted to hear people’s thoughts on it here, particularly since this is an Omega forum and theoretically we are all fans.

I love a lot of the new Omega models. I’ve owned a couple in the past few months, including the Seamaster 300 MC, which I just LOVE the look of, but ultimately sold. The lugs were too long to match the thickness of the watch. Had it been closer to 13 it would have worked fine. Everything, including the bezel, was slightly oversized and though it looks great in photos, the experience of wearing it was disappointing.

Right now, however, I’m just wearing my Speedy because despite the height of the hesalite, the actual watch itself wears pretty slim and compact, as many have noted (it definitely doesn’t seem like a 42mm watch). I just can’t get down with the awkwardness of the case sizes. The PO’s - even the 42 or 39mm models - are just too tall and chunky. This isn’t just an issue with the thickness measurement, but the overall design and union of bezel, lugs, case size, and height. I’m no Rolex lover but man they can make a slim profile! Even the new big-lugged Submariner doesn’t wear that big, and it certainly isn’t too thick.

The regular SMPc has a wonderful profile. If I didn’t hate the bracelet and scalloped bezel so much I’d wear it and stop complaining. The PO is wonderful looking too, but again is just too thick and clunky.

I have high hopes for the new 38mm Aqua Terra, but I need to see it in person because even at 12.5mm high, if the case is too squat or not carefully shaped, it won’t feel right to me. The non-limited Railmaster also has a lot of promise, and the photos I’ve seen of it so far suggest it will be the perfect, vintage size. Again, I’ll need to see it to believe it.

So I know I’ve mostly been rambling. What do you folks think about this? Just suck it up? I’m not a collector, just a guy who wants to have a couple of nice watches to rotate. For now, the Speedy Pro is my number one. I want to get a buddy for it but I’ll need to wait it out.

Also - and I know this point has been raised before - who thinks Omega will update the movement in the SMPc? Will they keep it slim? Will they ever do away with that 90s bracelet? (I know I could put it on a Speedy bracelet, but then I’d have to sell the stock bracelet, and something tells me that would be difficult...but I digress).

2. No.15 Oct 6, 2017

I for one have passed on a number of modern Omega watches. I love the designs but the thickness kills it for me. Every time I find myself breaking down to buy the MC 300 I go to the OB and try one on to bring myself back to reality.

Longbow, fskywalker, Spruce and 2 others like this.
  3. Super Fuzz Oct 6, 2017

I almost had myself convinced after 2 weeks of owning it. Then I tried on my buddy’s Sub and his SMPc and while neither design tops the 300MC in my opinion, the profile of both were so much more sensible. I know Omega can do it; maybe next year we will see something good? I’m thinking the SMPc gets METAS and stays slim. That would be awesome.

I’ve also thought the Globemaster could be for me- it’s slimmer at 12.5ish I think. Not sure I can live with the fluted bezel though.

Longbow likes this.
  4. gman85 Oct 6, 2017

I have a Speedmaster Professional and my biggest gripe is how thick the back of the case is. Makes my watch sit higher than it needs to be. From a side view, it makes it look like a UFO.

Longbow, fskywalker and ras47 like this.
  5. Baz9614 Oct 6, 2017

I love the blue dial Speedmaster 57, and went into an AD to try it and the Zenith El Primero Classic Car on, and the Zenith wears much better! The 57 is 16.17mm, and the Zenith is 12.75mm. I'm assuming thickness is due to the Zenith being an integrated movement, and the Omega a modular one?

Longbow likes this.
  6. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Oct 6, 2017

Preaching to the choir on thickness...and it is not just the watch head, but the bracelet buckles on these new adjustable buckles.

I have the SM300 MC ti and I never wear it. I have owned it for over a year and have worn it 4 or 5 times. I am going to sell it (been saying that for months) and not due the thickness of the watch head, but of the bracelet buckle.

I also owned the PO XL 8500 ti. It is such a good looking watch, but I just could not get use to the thickness of the watch head. I sold it after a month.

I will admit that the modern Ploprof is the exception, I do not mind the thickness on this one as it wears well for me. I actually wore it for 25 days straight. I had no issues with the thickness. I will add however I had it on the old style seat belt buckle mesh and the buckle on the mesh is not very thick. I am actually wearing my Ploprof now but with the rubber bracelet and the adjustable buckle is too damn thick, so I am going to go back to the old style mesh.

Longbow likes this.
  7. watchmavan Oct 6, 2017

There are so many absolutely beautiful watches out there today that for me are killed by the thickness of the case or in some designs to look thick. I loved and bought the ETA Black Bay Black when it was released only to flip 8 months later because of this issue. I love the Seamaster 300 but it is thicker. I love the new Autavia but it is massive. One day the tide will turn back as it has started to with 45+ mm cases widths. Until then I'll stick to my super thin Explorer or Aquaracer or Speedy Pro. Such a shame.

Longbow and fskywalker like this.
  8. Super Fuzz Oct 6, 2017

I’m glad you raise this objection. I respectfully disagree and this exactly proves my point about how it’s not just the height measurement that matters but the design of the whole case. The Speedy case is a pretty sleek design and you can’t beat the contours and the shape of the lugs and the way it’s finished. Yes, the bulbous hesalite goes up kinda high but there is no bezel or metal surrounding the crystal making the watch seem big. Looking at it from the side it really wears slim and tight. Everything about the PO or 300MC is just too big and chunky. Omega needs to tone it down.

Longbow likes this.
  9. panaitchrono Oct 6, 2017

I'm one of the persons who like to feel the watch on the wrist..it's no problem for me to be thicker and heavier. If I were a slim or not a heavy watch it's like I were nothing on my wrist..:)..so I also like very much the moderns Omega.
    pic2.jpg

Shailor and Jrcigar like this.
  10. vintageguy3 Oct 7, 2017

if you want slim and beautiful, go vintage.

Longbow, kkt, fskywalker and 3 others like this.
  11. TMas Oct 7, 2017

I’m not a fan of thick watches either, but think the design of the 300 MC just works. Sure it’s thicker than a sub, but it wears smaller than my Speedy Pro. The 300 MC should be worn comfortably yet a bit tighter on the wrist and it might give you more of the look you want. I find it looks much better when it doesn’t rattle around when wearing.

D4F271AC-91B2-405C-ADF3-DC1348308CA3.jpeg A28D0C28-AAA1-43D8-ADB5-D00E763E8C4C.jpeg
    Morrisdog, Foo2rama and Jrcigar like this.
  12. Speedy_Gonzales Oct 7, 2017

I would prefer a slimmer case, but then again you have to account for the height, diameter, etc of the movement in the case. Most of the new in-house movements are larger than similar ETA movements. So with advancements in movements (ie longer power reserves, better resistance to magnetism, etc) this is a price we pay in the short-term. Although the clasps on some on these watches are unforgivable. ::popcorn::

Jrcigar and Foo2rama like this.
  13. nurseford25 Oct 7, 2017

Would I love a planet ocean that was at least 2mm thinner? Absolutely but it hasn’t stopped me from enjoying mine.
    814B13AB-FE08-49CA-B4BD-6AF6CB9642BC.jpeg 8C7F6FE5-933A-4282-A175-788D98C80164.jpeg
    I installed the new adjustable clasp last weekend and I now love it even more.
    6068BB9C-CE3A-4E6C-9159-B60BACB83F8A.jpeg

Morrisdog, fskywalker and Jrcigar like this.
  14. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Oct 7, 2017

As the technical complexity/improvements in the calibres moves along, coupled with design choices, the effect has been an actual (or maybe sometimes perceived) increase in thickness. Never bothered me, as I'm happy with my 1120 powered 2255.80 :cool:
    Seamaster sideview.jpg

Morrisdog, rbob99 and gvids like this.
  15. gvids Oct 7, 2017

I tried on the 38.5 MC Aqua terra, and it fit like a hockey puck. Seems like the new movements obligate an increased thickness, which i am not a fan of.

16. hchj Oct 7, 2017

Comfort wise, I find the 1120 powered SMP are the the best. The weight and height combination just perfect imo.
    I can accept the height of the 8500 AT, but hate the crown... it digs into my wrist and causes great discomfort.

17. rbob99 Oct 7, 2017

I had a CK2998 Reissue and an Aqua Terra with the 8500 movement and did not like the fit of either. Sold them both. The older 1120 movement watches fit me well and the Speedy Pro is a perfect fit for me.

18. Super Fuzz Oct 7, 2017

This is why I fear I will eventually need to save my pennies for a Sub and just get it over with. Perfect size.

19. BostonCanuck Oct 7, 2017

Omega has clearly recognized the problem, what with all the buzz that case thickness gets here on these forums. And you do see some remedial steps being taken. They're highly touting the "slimmer appearance" of the brand new Speedmaster Racing. There's also the new 39.5mm Planet Ocean and the new 38mm Aqua Terra, both thinner than their immediate predecessors. In at least one model, their single barrel master chronometer is being used in a watch with a case thickness as thin as 11.76 mm.

So I think they're finally on the right track with this, but it is going to take a while to "right size" the entire product range. They really need to do something about the Planet Ocean line. They're outstanding watches, but judging by the high number of them you see available on the grey-market, the excessive case thickness is costing them sales. It will also be interesting to see what happens with the next generation Seamaster Professional Bond.

Edited Oct 7, 2017
    Longbow, fskywalker and watchmavan like this.
  20. BenjaminT Oct 7, 2017

Well it's not just Omega. Just look at the Autavia 2017. Such a shame.
    Big bold watches are fashionable at the moment. Just look at the fashion brands.
    However this trend will change some day and people will move from let's say Fossil Monsters back to e.g. Skagens.
    I think all the brands investing in in-house-movements would be well advised to prepare their currently large and thick designs for a possible future slim-down.
    (Looking forward to it)

Spruce likes this.