Forums Latest Members
  1. zambo Mar 31, 2016

I am about to refurbish the case on a Mk II Speedy (gold plate) that I have had for ages that I purchased in a well worn state. So the finish was always relatively shiny (except where worn thru).

My question is does anyone have insight into whether these cases had any graining, etc to the case finishes back in the day. If I wish to grain I am told that is all done to the substrate prior to the gold plating phase, so interested to know if anyone has seen GP Speedy Mk II in something other than an all over polished state so I can think about how to proceed.

Thanks for any information - Richard

2. dialstatic Mar 31, 2016

Old-omegas.com has a brochure with a gold mk ii. I think I see a hint of the same sunburst pattern as on the steel cases, but I can't be sure.

image.jpeg
    Edited Mar 31, 2016
  3. zambo Mar 31, 2016

I think you are right from that pic - thank you.

dialstatic likes this.
  4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 31, 2016

It has sunburst grain on top and side, except beveled side which has mirror finish.
    Speedy mark 2 Gold WRUW 8 (1024x799).jpg

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  5. zambo Mar 31, 2016

So pretty much as per the stainless model. Thanks as well.

6. photo500 Mar 31, 2016

Dont even try to refinish one of these.....underneath that very thin coating of gold is a brass case, not steel. While the inital results might look ok, in a few days or weeks the rubbed through parts start to tarnish. Really the only thing to do is remove the gold, apply the correct finishes and then have it professionally replated. Part of the plating process involves polishing though so I very much doubt the result will be what you're expecting.

7. zambo Mar 31, 2016

Thanks for that. I was planning on having it professionally stripped, case refinished to remove any imperfections and then replated.

You mention "apply the correct finishes ..." - what finishes do you mean, prior to professional replating?

8. photo500 Mar 31, 2016

I perhaps should have said, I wouldn't try it [emoji6].

By applying the correct finishes such as the sunburst effect to the front, the satin case sides and the polished chamfers and sections above the lugs.

SpikiSpikester likes this.