Forums Latest Members
  1. Erik LT5 Nov 9, 2020

Hi,
    New to this forum but not to the world of Omega.

I have two old Omega Geneves. One reads 1360098, and the other 166.070. Both are ok mechanically, but the cases have been seriously damaged on each. On the former, I had paid to have the case replated, and a horrible job was done. The edges were all smoothed out, and then to add insult to injury, the plating only last 5 wears before starting to come off.

I would love to know more about these watches too. I’m guessing they are likely pretty commonplace on the Omega line of the time. Anything to watch out for?

Are the cases fixable? Are there places to but replacement ones? Any help is definitely appreciated.

Thanks!
    Erik

761584AE-D079-4AF6-8298-2207D10101A9.jpeg 55565BA6-EC42-41E2-9085-CCBB49BDC71C.jpeg 613BC94D-CCF7-4A42-8002-9EE529E660C3.jpeg B0B1D314-A024-4642-BFB5-11D1319BDE11.jpeg
  2. janice&fred Nov 9, 2020

You might just keep your eyes open for similar examples that aren't running or have bad dials but nice cases and then use your movements and dials. Fixing those cases is of course possible but cost prohibitive.

3. Erik LT5 Nov 9, 2020

‘Thanks for the quick response.

Any recommended places to look for used ones?

Also, when you say “cost prohibitive”, is there a number you have in mind? There is a lot of sentimental value attached to each one, so I might consider making some irrational financial choices if I could keep them original.

4. Erik LT5 Nov 10, 2020

Btw, can someone recommend a really good restorer of cases?

5. Biezmez Nov 10, 2020

Hi
    I’ve had a case worked on and replated by replateit.com in Canada. I was very pleased with their work. Your first watch looks very badly damaged around the lugs. Get in touch anyway and see what they’re able to do.
    Regards
    Chris.

6. Erik LT5 Nov 10, 2020

Thanks Chris.
    Yeah, they both are pretty rough. The top one is still original, if chewed up. The bottom was messed up in an attempt to replate it.

7. DON Nov 10, 2020

Condition is way to poor to replate. In order to do a nice job. You would need to sand all the worn areas so there is not rough spots between the still plated and worn areas.

Top is garbage. Pop the movement and toss the rest. Second is better, but if it were mine. Keep movement. Dump the case also.

Cases pop up on Ebay, so might find something or sell the movements and use the money to buy a better watch

DON

8. Sherbie Nov 11, 2020

The first thing to do is remove that Horrible speidel bracelet - that has caused catastrophic wear To the inside of the lugs ( then throw it away or just place in a draw)

As others have said, just look on ebay for replacement cases (Set up a search)

9. onlyomega94 Nov 11, 2020

Especially the top case is beyond repair IMO. Either way I would say look for cases on eBay or maybe even a Geneve with a nice case and a horrible dial so you can pop your movement and dial in.

10. Erik LT5 Nov 11, 2020

As stated, there is a lot of sentimental attachment with both watches. The top one was my dads (he couldn’t wear leather bands, hence the Speidel - can’t complain - he wore it for 40 years!), while the other belonged to my uncle. Neither one will be sold, but rather will be passed down through the family. Making financial sense isn’t really the issue. As such, if the cases can be fixed, I’d prefer that. The second one was likely too mangled by the previous attempt at replating. At least the first one, other then the obvious damage, is still “original”.

I honestly have no idea what can be done to fix the first one. I don’t know at one point they become actually unrepairable, as compared to the repair being economically unviable.

As always, all the comments are very much appreciated.

11. Erik LT5 Nov 11, 2020

A few more pics:

47D711C2-44D0-4CD2-8535-B2D3243D4652.jpeg E925B8D1-9ECF-45F9-9122-664240561D82.jpeg DEB3BF06-4866-45A9-9FEF-1ED32A71C1FB.jpeg
  12. janice&fred Nov 11, 2020

Hey if price is no object then contact the case restorer suggested in the thread or do a simple google search. A few of these companies specialize in Omega case restoration and certainly can handle it. Send them pictures and ask for the price. Posting pictures here isn't going to get you much further than you already got.

13. Dan S Nov 11, 2020

I wonder if you could just learn to love them as they are. Their sentimental value is due to the fact that they were worn by your father and uncle, so some people could appreciate them as heirlooms in their current condition, without trying to restore them. These were entry-level cases, and not meant to last forever, and the most skilled case restorers don't specialize in this type of work. They primarily work on stainless and gold cases. Regardless of cost, I think that trying to repair them is just going down a rabbit hole, where additional work could actually make things worse. Unfortunately you've already experienced that.

RogerL and DaveK like this.
  14. Erik LT5 Nov 11, 2020

‘I didn’t exactly say that price was no object. :)
    It’s more a matter of the sentimental value making them worth more to me then straight market price.
    I did send pics to replateit.ca. We will see what they come back with.

15. Erik LT5 Nov 11, 2020

Likely a bit far gone for that. The one that was replated poorly is just plain annoying. That’s a bit of an open wound.

And my dads watch could stand to look better then it does. Especially with the chunks missing. And no, I don’t really know what is possible. I could totally restore a vintage Hemi Cuda convertible with nothing but just the VIN tag. But I don’t have a clue at what point a case becomes unfixable. Which is what I’m here, trying to learn.

16. SkunkPrince Nov 11, 2020

Also worth asking if Omega has a replacement cases for these.

They also have a $1500 "complete restoration" service where they will remanufacture anything they don't have stocked.

Erik LT5 likes this.
  17. Dan S Nov 11, 2020

It's just that I have never heard of anyone attempting a major restoration on a plated case. It's just not done. So I think there may be a dearth of first-hand experience. I don't know what a "Hemi Cuda" is, but I bet it's worth more than $50. No offense meant, I'm just trying to put things in context for you.

Your best bet will be to contact some of the usual watch case repair folks and tell them that price is no object.

Michael Young: http://www.classicwatchrepair.com/english/case-restoration
    Peter Wuischpard: www.watchcaserepair.com

18. Erik LT5 Nov 11, 2020

Thanks!
    I’ll reach out to both.

Both my dad and uncle bought these watches few years apart in the early 70’s in Toronto for close enough to $250. Not an insubstantial amount of money in those days for a watch. Maybe $1500 today? But, of course, those were different times.

‘A Hemi Cuda convertible? A very rare, 18 built, 1970 Plymouth Cuda with the Hemi engine. With a good provenance, it would fetch $2.5 to 3 million.

9BDD7304-B500-4223-A00B-2AF40ECFC0AC.jpeg
  19. SkunkPrince Nov 11, 2020

Pretty! If I were to have a vintage car, a 1960 Barracuda would be on the short list.

20. Dan S Nov 11, 2020

That's interesting, and very expensive at the time for those watches, which were entry-level in the Omega catalog. They could have bought any of the SS watches in the Rolex catalog for $250 in 1970, and the value would have gone WAY up, instead of down. If only they had known. ;)

janice&fred likes this.