Forums Latest Members

Captain's Log: Longines Edition

1. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Mar 31, 2021

What watch would Captain Picard wear, if it had to be analog? I'm getting strong Star Trek vibes from these ones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From my research, the blue dialed versions are much less common than the white. Here are my other findings, with regard to this case/dial style:

A. There are two case sizes, each in either SS or gold:

1. A 30mm case
    2. A 23mm case

B. There are at least four dial/furniture variations amongst the case sizes.

1. White dial, blue chapter ring, baton hands, applied logo (seen on stainless steel versions, 23mm and 30mm).
    2. Blue dial, silver chapter ring, dauphine hands, no logo (seen on stainless steel versions, 30mm).
    3. Gold dial, blue chapter ring, gold dauphine hands, no logo (seen on gold versions, 30mm).
    4. Dark dial, gold chapter ring, gold dauphine hands, no logo (seen on gold versions, 30mm).

C. There are at least two calibers used: Caliber 428 and 847.

D. Interesting observations:

1. Some are marked Flagship, others are not.
    2. The majority of vintage examples I've found come out of Japan. It may suggest they were sold predominantly in the Asian market.
    3. I can't explain the manufacturing process of the blue dial. It seems to create a unique dial, with waves and small speckles, where no two dials are alike.

------------------------

Example 1: 23mm, white dial, blue chapter ring, baton hands. Note that it's marked in steel or gold.

[​IMG]

Example 2: A 30mm and 23mm side by side. One is given as a flagship, the other not.

[​IMG]

3. Example 3: A 30mm version, with blue dial, silver chapter ring, dauphine hands, and no applied logo.

[​IMG]

Example 4: 30mm 18k Gold case, "dark" dial, gold chapter ring, gold dauphine hands, and no applied logo. https://www.yonedaya.co.jp/9178

[​IMG]
    Same watch

[​IMG]

Example 5: 30mm 18k case, gold hued dial, blue (?) chapter ring, gold dauphine hands, no logo. https://eguchi-store.jp/249100-2/

[​IMG]

If you have more examples, and want to share? MAKE IT SO.

2. wagudc Mar 31, 2021

The blue one is ideal for picking up the Andorian ladies.

3. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Apr 6, 2021

Looks great with the matching shirt :thumbsup:

Modest_Proposal, JohnSteed and Spruce like this.