Forums Latest Members
  1. Wivac Terribly special May 18, 2019

I inherited Dad's camera, a Canon A1.
    20190518_150032.jpg
    I remember being facinated with this thing , hung around his neck pretty much everywhere we went.

I'm on holiday currently and have given myself the task of getting it up and running in a week. So far, the lights are on, and it's making the right noises. Does anyone have any good resources for rank amateurs to learn the ropes quickly? Am currently ploughing through Ootoobs vids with mixed results.

Taybharr, 105012 and alam like this.
  2. Canuck May 18, 2019

You remind me. I recently uncovered a 30 year old Canon AE-1 while foraging around in my garage. Haven’t used it for probably 20 years. I should check the battery.

Recently, on a trip to Billings, Montana, I misplaced the telephoto lens from my Olympus Pen digital. I had to return to my Canon Elan II with the telephoto, to photograph an airborne formation of replica WW I Spad aircraft that visited here. The Elan with the telephoto lens is a real hand full compared to the digital. I did get the missing telephoto lens back.

Wivac likes this.
  3. Observer I know nothing! May 18, 2019

Put some film in it.
    Take photos.
    Have them developed.

mancio, lando, Lonestar and 7 others like this.
  4. 77deluxe May 18, 2019

This never works for me.

onesimo58, ext1, Fritz and 1 other person like this.
  5. Observer I know nothing! May 18, 2019

lol. Yes. Based on that criteria, all of my cameras have problems.

77deluxe likes this.
  6. Wivac Terribly special May 18, 2019

Ha ha.

Shot a couple of rolls already, now trying to wrap my brain cell around the Av speeds, focus points etx etc.
    I doubt I shall have any problems capturing pics of blurred doggos or seals

7. Vercingetorix Spam Risk May 18, 2019

Free to the first person who wants. Fits Canon FD. Just cover shipping. F0ADCC8C-2F64-46D8-9661-301F3D80363A.jpeg

8. Observer I know nothing! May 18, 2019

There's more to it than anyone can put here, but this might help if you don't know already. Av is aperture priority on the camera.
    -If you want everything in focus for a landscape, building exterior, whatever, use an aperture with a high number. The camera will compensate by slowing the shutter. Hold the camera very still and avoid shutter speeds lower than the length of the lens (about 1/60 with that lens).
    -For portraits or other subjects you want to isolate by blurring everything else, use apertures with lower numbers.

If you enjoy the camera, you might consider getting a fast 50mm lens. They're the cheapest, sharpest lenses and they let you shoot in diminished light. Have fun, and share some pics when you get them.

tikkathree and Wivac like this.
  9. Observer I know nothing! May 18, 2019

One more thing. Be careful. Cameras and associated gear are no less addictive than wristwatches. ;)

Wivac likes this.
  10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 18, 2019

A great landscape photographer in Darwin’s advice still rings in my ears.

Just keep clicking it will come.
    And
    There is only one good shot on a roll of film

Blacksmith and Omegafanman like this.
  11. Wivac Terribly special May 18, 2019

Im quite fortunate in that it came with a couple of flight cases of lenses, flashes and other phallic appendages that should keep me occupied for the foreseeable.

12. Wivac Terribly special May 18, 2019

Just brought the basics with me to learn the basics. Shall plough on with the ootoob vids and continue to pap the doggos

13. Canuck May 18, 2019

Set for shutter priority on automatic, the camera will choose a suitable aperture. Set for aperture priority, it will choose a suitable shutter speed. On manual, you will have to choose both shutter speed and aperture. If shooting a subject against a bright background, the camera will under expose your subject. Move in close to you subject and press the shutter button half way down and release. Then back away, and take your picture. The camera will memorize the f-stop and shutter speed for a few seconds. And then the memorized settings will be applied when your shoot the picture. As you experiment, perhaps keep a log, frame by frame, and mark down how you set up the camera for each shot. Take the same shot, setting up the camera several different ways. When you see the pictures, there will be a visual reference as to results for each setting.

If the A-1 is like the AE-1, when you depress the shutter release half way, the camera should display both the shutter speed and f-stop. To achieve special effects, memorize the shutter speed and f-stop as you focus. Then set the camera on manual, and adjust either (or both) shutter speed and f-stop to achieve the desired effect. This method can also be used when photographing back lighted subjects. Simply use a slower shutter speed or higher f-stop, and take the picture.

As you experiment, use your manual, and have fun.

sdre and Wivac like this.
  14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 18, 2019

Learned to shoot one an AE1 program.

Is there a program mode? Is the light meter working?

Wivac likes this.
  15. Wivac Terribly special May 18, 2019

Thanks @Canuck , that's a couple of super useful tips.

Not sure if program is the correct term, it has 4 shooting modes I plan to tackle tomorrow, light meter works as does all the auto features I've played with so far. Doggie giving me a wide hearth now when it comes out as fed up of posing for the various settings.

16. mjb May 29, 2019

My suggestion is that when you are experimenting with exposures, apertures, etc., especially since you are using film... write down what settings you used for particular shots. This way when you get the prints back a month later, you'll know what you did and can see the result.

Like most of us, I learned "photography" on film, but it wasn't until I went digital and only recently that I've really started to "get it". And I still have so much to learn...

Martin_J_N likes this.
  17. alam May 29, 2019

Here are some basic concepts.

Wivac likes this.
  18. Wivac Terribly special May 29, 2019

Ta for the link @alam
    I'm now also reading up on film scanners as it seems nuts to start ordering prints, any recommendations?
    Read the Plustek 8100 is a great starting point.

19. MCC May 29, 2019

I am travelling in the other direction, I upgraded my DSLR to mirrorless and wondered what the results would look like and so far I am not missing the mirror at all :). Of course there are some limitations but over all the technology of the new cameras and the ability to use older lenses using an adapter is really doing it for me.

20. alam May 29, 2019

I don’t have any experience w/these scanners but something I would definitely consider. If you decide for the scanner option, I suggest you try shooting slide film -that was the preference of many (Kodachrome 64 was my fav) before the years of digital photography. More on slide film here.

Foo2rama and Wivac like this.