Forums Latest Members

Can you recommend a vintage repair shop in France or UK?

1. homebrw Jan 2, 2016

For my 1967 321 Speedy...
    1st goal is a proven track record of quality service with no replacement or polishing of external parts.

I live in France, but language wise, I guess it would be easier if I sent it to the UK. If not, I guess I could live without her for 6 months until we repatriate to the USA.

2 known issues:
    Chrono second hand doesn't reset to 0.
    Crown and stem has pulled out.

Thanks in advance.
    Chris

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jan 2, 2016

I would recommend using the site's search function. I know this question has been asked a lot and there are always recommendations.

3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 2, 2016

4. homebrw Jan 2, 2016

Thanks. I did. I looked through about 30 threads. I did get one lead, but it's a bit older, and it wasn't for a vintage watch. Granted, I'm not the best searcher, and after 30 mins of mostly non related reading (but still very interesting) I thought I'd ask the question directly, freshly. I'd know where to go in USA.

Chris

5. TIMSTAR Jan 2, 2016

Sure,
    try STS
    these guys are doing a fantastic job.
    it is swisstimeservices.co.uk

davidswiss likes this.
  6. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jan 2, 2016

Didn't mean to come across as a smart ass. I know there's a question about service in the UK or EU once a week. Of course, I can't find a single one, either.

7. Ludi Jan 2, 2016

@homebrw I second that ... Rob is my watchmaker, highly recommended :thumbsup:

Use the french postal VD (valeur déclarée) system to send your watch. Don't hesitate to ask Rob for further details ;)

8. Davidt Jan 2, 2016

I'm in the UK and use either watchguy.co.uk or STS.

For 321 Speedy work, I tend to go to STS due to parts availability.

9. homebrw Jan 2, 2016

Thanks guys. STS is who I was trying to remember.

@Ludi...with the VD system I would be able to declare it at $6k and it's insured? Feel free to take this part offline. Thanks again for help.
    Chris

10. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jan 2, 2016

The only thing I would say is that if you are moving back to the states in 6 months, double (and triple) check that whoever you use can turn it round before you go. The watchmaker who's talents I employ on my El Primeros currently takes 8 to 10 months.

11. Ludi Jan 2, 2016

Yep, the safest way to ship watches and jewellery within the country.... fully insured up to 5000€.

Be sure to use this kind of enveloppe though : https://pro.boutique.laposte.fr/tim...eloppe-securisee-pour-valeur-declaree/p/14467

Hope it helps ;)

12. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Jan 3, 2016

Hi Chris,

I sent you a PM.

I am in France and can help with your servicing. Unless I need parts that have long lead times, the turn time would be a few weeks at best, not months.

Let me know if I can help.

Rob MBHI

13. stef2010 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 3, 2016

14. SCARRION Jan 4, 2016

hello
    i am french.
    one of the most recommanded watchmaker on the french " forum a montre " for vintage omegas is Alain Delepine in Amboise : http://www.horloger-reparateur.com/. very sympathetic and good experience on 321 omegas.

i also also had good experience with "la vieille pendule " in pontoise close to Paris : https://www.ville-pontoise.fr/content/a-vieille-pendule

a well known in Paris is Antoine de Macedo ( no personal experience with him ). http://adm-horloger.com/fr/

hope this may help you.

Stephane

Edited Jan 4, 2016
  15. homebrw Jan 15, 2016

16. homebrw Jan 15, 2016

Merci Stephane et tous. Thanks everyone. She's off to a French shop and I'll report back after she comes back, but I have high trust based on his activities here. I can't wait. Miss her already.

Chris

17. Thy Jan 17, 2016

Je peux aussi te recommander mon horloger.
    Il est basé à Nismes en Belgique à la frontière française. Il n'y en a qu'un.
    Un horloger à l'ancienne formé à l'IATA, pas de site internet, mais avec des tarifs doux...
    Pas être pressé, il a du boulot :)

Edited Jan 17, 2016
  18. homebrw Apr 20, 2016

Hello all.

I am "en retard" in posting this follow-up, but I really feel strongly the need to do so in case anyone else is looking.

I sent my 321 cal Speedy and my wife's Datejust to Rob (Horlogerie on OF) , and I have nothing but good things to say about his service!

Most of all I appreciate the emails, photos and feedback at each stage of the process. His and Jennifer's communication is above reproach. From what I see in some other threads, his turn-around time seems to be amongst the best too. Customer service in France is oft maligned, but I can say Rob's customer service is as good as any in the world.

For such impeccable service, I feel his pricing is right on the money too. I'm not affiliated with www.roberthoran.eu , just a 110% satisfied customer.

It's not often I write reviews, but in this case, it is warranted.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations and offers.

Chris

oddboy likes this.