Forums Latest Members
  1. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 3, 2016

Greetings gents, do you think this lug can be repaired?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here's the rest of the watch (another tiny lady thing):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Would it be expensive? Worth it? And can the rust be removed from the hands?
    Thanks for your thoughts,
    S

2. ulackfocus Aug 3, 2016

Anything can be repaired. The question is how expensive it is to do the job.

OMGRLX and Syrte like this.
  3. Davidt Aug 3, 2016

I would think any working jeweller could make a reasonable job of that.

4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 3, 2016

Would anyone have an idea how much?
    on those tiny watches it's easy to spend more on repairs than on the watch itself.
    It's good to not be spending too much upfront, but the resale prospects if one gets tired or needs to move on are obviously more limited than with men's watches...

5. Canuck Aug 3, 2016

I very much doubt a goldsmith will be able to repair the case with stainless steel. You might find yourself choosing from options the shop might suggest (white gold, sterling silver, nickel silver) that they have available. Someone might be able to comment on using gold or silver solder on a stainless steel case. Laser welding might be an option, if you can find someone with a laser machine who will undertake the job. Cost? You won't know until you find someone who can do the job, and who will quote a price. As to whether it's worth it? If the watch is important to you, perhaps it might be. Only you can decide!

Syrte likes this.
  6. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 3, 2016

thanks much @Canuck, and all --I was curious as those case issues are a mystery to me -- but for me not worth the trouble.
    I know someone else who might be interested though.

Thanks and best wishes,
    S

noelekal and Canuck like this.
  7. Davidt Aug 3, 2016

Sorry, I didn't see the Staybrite stamp and assumed it was silver.

I've never asked my jeweller to do such work on steel. Similar work on silver/gold has cost me £20-80 in the past, although the top end price was either more complicated or required extra gold to be put in.

Syrte and noelekal like this.
  8. Canuck Aug 3, 2016

I, like most working watch repair people, spend a large share of our working day, working on watches that we deem to be not worth repair. Why do those folks want them done? These watches are important to them for more reasons than you can count! If there are no reasons for why this watch is important enough to you to do what it needs, for sure, shelve it!

Syrte, noelekal and OMGRLX like this.
  9. DON Aug 3, 2016

Can be repaired. Add a small steel bushing inside and weld or solder. File around the broken part to blend into the bushing.

Do it on both sides so it looks even

DON

Syrte and wsfarrell like this.
  10. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 4, 2016

Thanks Don!

That's an interesting question. In this particular instance, I don't need this watch and have sent the link to someone else.
    But it is a lovely and unusual watch-- I'm willing to bet few of those have survived. They are interesting pieces of jewelery and history.

Edited Aug 4, 2016