Can anyone recommend a watchmaker in NW England

Hi guys, I’ve got a DJ 16220, purchased new by me in Oct 1999. Last serviced by Rolex in 2016, they absolutely rinsed me for a date wheel, a clasp, a crown & a crystal. I gave the date wheel & clasp(returned to me & f##k all wrong with them). They wouldn’t return crown or crystal.

being the mug that I am I have looked at having it serviced again, although I rarely use it.

THIS IS THE RESPONSE TO MY QUESTION REGARDING A NORMAL SERVICE!

Good morning,

Thank you for your email.

Please be kindly be advised that we are unable to provide a quotation for your timepiece in absence of an assessment with our estimating team.

We kindly request for your timepiece to be brought into one of our service centres for further assessment with our senior technicians.

Upon assessment, our senior technicians will be delighted to assist and answer any queries or concerns you may have.

Please note that our Modern service overhauls may take up to 10 weeks for completion, with the base cost for a service being £550 inclusive of VAT for your model 16220.

We further kindly advise that you do not need an appointment to bring your timepiece into both our London (St James) and Kent (Kings Hill) Service Centres, which are open between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Alternatively, your local authorised retailer shall be pleased to assist in sending your timepiece into one of our service centres, if you are not located nearby.

Assuring you of our best intentions, we remain at your disposal.

Am I being a D##C? In thinking that this is an arrogant response to a simple question??

interesting to know your response but more importantly, a recommendation for a reliable service facility in NW UK.

Thanks guys

They're hedging their bets a bit. Can't blame them though. They don't know you or the watch. The reply simply sounds formal to me. In this day and age that is almost refreshing.

I'm such a fogey in my attitudes that I might allow them a "look-see" at the watch based off of the way the reply is composed.

Sounds pretty normal to me. They gave you a base price, but indicated that the actual cost could depend on factors that turn up in their assessment. That's reasonable. IMO, if you had it serviced in 1999 and rarely wore it since then, I think the 550 gbp estimate is likely what it will cost. And I don't think you'll do substantially better.

An independent watchmaker can service it, but very few will be able to get parts from Rolex if they are needed. Of course, it's possible that parts won't be needed. Your choice.

Sounds pretty normal to me. They gave you a base price, but indicated that the actual cost could depend on factors that turn up in their assessment. That's reasonable. IMO, if you had it serviced in 1999 and rarely wore it since then, I think the 550 gbp estimate is likely what it will cost. And I don't think you'll do substantially better.

An independent watchmaker can service it, but very few will be able to get parts from Rolex if they are needed. Of course, it's possible that parts won't be needed. Your choice.

Normal for Rolex. Omega just charges a flat fee. All normal replacement parts are included.

Removed the all caps, don’t do that in thread titles please

I have used https://watchguy.co.uk/ to service two Rolex DJs recently and am very happy with the outcome. Turnaround is 4-6 weeks. Their workshop tracking software automatically keeps you up to date with progress.
They are in Gloucestershire, so everyone's send/receive is done by RM Special Delivery.

I have used https://watchguy.co.uk/ to service two Rolex DJs recently and am very happy with the outcome. Turnaround is 4-6 weeks. Their workshop tracking software automatically keeps you up to date with progress.
They are in Gloucestershire, so everyone's send/receive is done by RM Special Delivery.

Yup, used them for my UG polerouter date, they are good.

Personally I wouldn't again service a watch that I hardly wear that has been serviced just 6 years ago, I don't see the point.