Forums Latest Members

Can anyone recommend a non nato Ballistic Nylon strap?

1. BradleyJ. Mar 17, 2020

Been wearing my crown and buckle supreme natos the last 2 days. I love these straps because the fabric is very high quality, thick, soft, flexible and well made. The down side for me is I'm not a NATO fan. After reading the post by @Foo2rama about a different way of wearing a nato, I'm loving these straps I have again, but in reality I'm just wearing them like a normal watch strap and have a bulk of material under the wrist. Which leads to my question... can anyone suggest a nylon strap that has all the characteristics I stated above but in a regular 2pc or even 1pc but wears like a regular watch strap? Extra points for your recommendation if you have every owned a supreme nato and know how these feel.

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 17, 2020

google for "passthough strap" "pass through strap" "3 ring strap" "1 piece nato" etc

3. BradleyJ. Mar 17, 2020

I've purchased some like this in the past but the nylon is cheap AF and scratchy. Only reason I'm asking is for recommendations where people actually tried out straps that they'd recommend. I'm sick of spending 30 bucks here and there only to be dissapointed. I've actually ordered cheap 5 to 10 dollar straps that are as good quality as these 30 dollar overpriced ones. At $35 the supreme nato is top notch but not the style I'm going for. Thanks for the tip though, gonna try that and see what pops up. Comparing pictures of the material to compare to the supreme material is tuff to do online unfortunately.

Foo2rama likes this.
  4. jmazpiazu Mar 17, 2020

Not a NATO fan either. I tried a Haveston single pass strap in canvas for my Longines Pilot. $28 shipped to the US from UK. Highly recommended. Here´s more info: https://omegaforums.net/threads/«watch-strap-ressource»-where-to-buy-good-quality-leather-watch-straps.82232/page-18#post-1457453

Foo2rama and BradleyJ. like this.
  5. timjohn Mar 17, 2020

BradleyJ. likes this.
  6. Observer I know nothing! Mar 17, 2020

I cut the bottom part off of cheap NATOs and wear them as passthroughs. Not sure if that helps, but they’re some of my favorite straps.

Why do I feel like I’m admitting to something I should be ashamed of?

7. Whsjr415 Mar 17, 2020

Crown and Buckle offer most of their NATOs in a single pass option (including the supreme line).

NT931 likes this.
  8. forpurpur Mar 18, 2020

Try cincy strap works. They were one of the first companies I knew of that had "seatbelt" natos. Over time, I noticed other sites started to promote them too. The quality is very different from most other common natos, including the one posted above. You can see it for yourself in the close ups. Downside being that there aren't that many colour variations. Edit: checked and they do have the 2 piece straps that you want if I'm not mistaken on what you're looking for.

Another one is phenomenato but their variations could be even more limited.

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 18, 2020

Oh Perlons would fit the bill nicely... Single pass through and feel great on the skin.

10. BradleyJ. Mar 18, 2020

I went thru the site 3 times before I seen the tiny little box you can check that for "single layer option" lmfao. Thanks for telling me that the exact thing I wanted was an option :D

Edit*
    Technically this is still a nato and I'd have one less layer but slighter more material to loop back around. Not exactly what I'm looking for. I guess I'm looking for this material but in a 2 piece.

Edited Mar 18, 2020
  11. YY77 Mar 18, 2020

maybe this is more to your liking from gasgasbones.

BradleyJ. likes this.
  12. NT931 Mar 18, 2020

Yep C&B Chevron single-pass NATOs are good.

mz_cle likes this.
  13. BradleyJ. Mar 18, 2020

Only issues are, I'm not looking for a nato and I want a seatbelt type of material. I do have their Chevron in stone and I like it but it was super scratchy till it broke in. I repeatedly ran it back n fourth on a sharp counter edge till it broke in like I was trying to start a fire Haha.

After reading the faqs section about the single pass, they suggest ordering the regular and if that isnt for you then they say to just cut and melt the end to make it a single pass. (Seems this is what they do if you order it as a single pass) Although affective, this would leave the melted part rubbing your wrist underneath if you wear it in a way to keep the bulk on the bottom. Probably less of an issue if you wore it with the bulk on the side like a traditional nato since the melted portion would be near the watch lugs and may not contact the skin as bad. Good looking out on the single pass checkmark box though. Like I said, I've purchased many of their straps and never once seen that damn box Haha. I may try to cut the one I have and re-stitch it so the cut is on top away from the skin.

Ended up taking a gamble on this one from watchbandit but in black. A video review claimed it was soft as well as the description states is seatbelt material "but softer" Sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the suggestions guys/gals

20200318_105738.jpg
  14. BradleyJ. Mar 21, 2020

All this quarantine time got me restless so I unstiched my supreme nato from C&B, flipped the rings around to keep the cut and melted end away from the skin, removed the extra to make it a single pass and shorted it a bit. I've learned that even though my hand stitching skills are effective, they arent easy on the eye haha. I'm happy with the results and this strap will be getting plenty of wrist time.

20200321_121737.jpg 20200321_121753.jpg
    Foo2rama likes this.
  15. mz_cle Mar 21, 2020

That's my standard move with Crown and Buckle's Premium and Standard nato straps. Their chevron staps are very nice quality too. I own two of them, and my only misgiving with them is I would prefer they were a little longer: I have them adjusted to their full length and use the final or last adjustment hole.

SMP300.jpg D5465ABF-84D4-4AE8-A140-FDC584E7E7AA.JPG
    BradleyJ. likes this.