Forums Latest Members

Can anyone please advise newbie who bought his first vintage Speedmaster mark iii..thanks

1. justintime Dec 24, 2013

Dear new fellow members

Just joined and wondered if you could help??

I just purchased this watch for a present to myself (first one in ten years ) it was the one i wanted grey face mark iii

I got it for just over 2000 us dollars and negotiated 14 days to check it out with a watchmaker

I may have been hasty but it seems to be all original though I haven't seen the inside yet but the seller had good ratings and it seemed right

However it seems partially polished which I asked the seller not to do but may have been done before (he said he had a new polishing rouge do I want it I said no thanks)

Does anyone have any thoughts in your valued opinions ....On price, authenticity, whether I should find a better example and spend more ( I'm happy to do so) also if to send to omega switz for full refurb or not?

thanks so much

appreciate your time

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=331088046383&globalID=EBAY-USPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  2. stefan Dec 24, 2013

Welcome, this timepiece looks all original to me with the original bracelet, hands, dial and bezel are all original, case isn't in a bad condition could be refurbished close to factory standards except for the logo on the case back is too worn but the engraving is very thin on this model, new bezel and crystal are easy to find and replacement case back 176.0002 is also possible to find, can't see if the hands are tarnished but if they are not then you have a winner. :thumbsup:

3. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Dec 24, 2013

I agree the watch looks like it is all original. However, the case has some significant dings and bruises, which will require some heavy polishing and removal of material, unless you can live with the watch as-is. The dial is in decent condition, but the hands have lost some of the paint and the crystal should be replaced. Based on the outside, my guess is the watch was not serviced in a while and that will also need to be done. SO overall you have an example that is original, but will need some considerable work. I think your overpaid. For 2000$ I would expect a much nicer example.

4. justintime Dec 24, 2013

Stefan And Joe

Thanks so much for the reply and the opinion!!

As long as its original this is the main thing for me as I will keep this for a long time and wear it so paying a bit more than normal (though i value what you say) does not mean I think I should send it back I feel I will keep it and work with it as you suggest.

Re refurbishment would you send to omega switzerland for an overhaul or I live in New York are there better people locally in the USA to use whom you can recommend? I would rather use the best people to get the job done right and pay whatever it costs to get it the way it should be ....even though its already so beautiful!

I'm hooked on these early 70s omegas!

Thanks again and Kind Regards

5. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Dec 24, 2013

I would be cautious with sending to Omega. Although they do an excellent job as far as the service, they often replace parts without regard to the way the watch was originally sold. For example, I once sent a 910 Flightmaster for service and was told they only had 911 dials to replace with. I managed to stop the work and get my watch back, but it is difficult to communicate with them. I would find someone local who knows what he is doing. I am not sure who is reputable in your area, but you may want to try Al Archer (who posts on this forum).

6. justintime Dec 25, 2013

Thank you Joe

Appreciate it

Regards

7. ulackfocus Dec 25, 2013

Hey, you set your avatar! :thumbsup: Justintime too.

justintime and Daniel B like this.
  8. justintime Dec 25, 2013

My new Speedmaster! Love it and thanks love the forum too it's the least I could do :)