Forums Latest Members

Can anyone identify this calibre? (as Universal?)

1. DManzaluni Aug 8, 2019

Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 11.30.58 AM.png

Is this a known Universal calibre? I'm not used to there being quite so little in the way of identification on a U-G and am not impressed with the early nature of the watch as being a reason.

I haven't been able to test the back for flexibility.

This 18ct watch is a bit expensive and is, mysteriously not running. Meaning should I run away?

2. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Aug 8, 2019

At first glance I'd say a UG cal. 14 1/2 but I see differences

3. DManzaluni Aug 9, 2019

It's being offered to me in non-running condition, whatever that means. I am concerned that I have never seen an U-G without Universal on that bridge. And if there are "differences".......

Edited Aug 9, 2019
  4. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Aug 10, 2019

Small differences. However: I still think it is a UG movement.

5. DManzaluni Aug 10, 2019

yes, thanks for that but it sounds dangerous, even if the only problem is that the bridge has been replaced? I was tempted because it is one of those really pretty huge chronos with the porcelain dial and tine subs dials. And the 18ct U-Gs do sell quite well

The only plus would have been that my retired repairman often rhapsodises so much about high quality chronos that he might well have wanted to come out of his self-imposed retirement and look at this one!

Anyway I am buying a similar one at the moment (with the pusher in a different location) which is a bit more reasonably priced so i will post photos when it reaches me.

Screen Shot 2019-08-10 at 8.34.03 AM.png

And this one DOES say Universal. It seems to have had a blued movement retaining screw replaced but I am not sure that should be a deal buster.

Edited Aug 10, 2019
  6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 10, 2019

I agree, 14.5 comes closest. Significant variation though. Lets see the whole watch. My caution would be that there have been unscrupulous sellers cobbling together watches with those cool old enamel dials. Many original cases were melted down for the gold value. UG as one of the first Chronograph makers, never say never. This might be a very early watch.

7. DManzaluni Aug 10, 2019

An even bigger danger sign, mysterious colour variation on bridge (that shouldn't affect the operation of the watch), no Universal marking on (most probably) a Universal watch and whoever might have cobbled it together doesn't seem to have been able to get it working!!

I'm satisfying myself with the one that I have bought, which looks to me to be a bit earlier.

8. olivecrona Aug 14, 2019

It’s a valjoux 22GH

Dan S likes this.
  9. DManzaluni Aug 14, 2019

So it ISN'T a Universal or Excelsior Park movement? Hence the lack of UNIVERSAL signature on the bridge?

10. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Aug 14, 2019

I see some differences (for instance the very long thing which runs along the edge (sorry could not describe it better)) Valjoux 22GH_001_Lang.jpg
    Another thing I found:
    Valjoux_movements_chart.jpg

Edited Aug 15, 2019
  11. olivecrona Aug 14, 2019

No, it’s not an Universal caliber (i.e. not a Martel caliber).

12. DManzaluni Aug 15, 2019

But wasnt Universal a company that always used their own (i.e. Martel) calibres? Were there periods when they bought in movements or raw ebauches from other companies such as Valjoux?

Surely the legs wouldn't have been in the correct position if someone tried to cobble together the wrong movement with a Universal dial? There aren't any cracks on this dial.

Or is what this thread is saying is that a lot of these Universal/Excelsior Park movements were very similar to Valjoux movements?

Edited Aug 16, 2019