Forums Latest Members
  1. hypnorich Aug 27, 2015

Hello, I just joined here. This was in my father's belongings, I was going through some photos today and found this watch. I believe it was his father's watch, as my dad always had Rolex's. So I wound it up and set the time and it's been right all day long. The face is pretty grungy, and I'm also wondering if it could be restored without losing it's vintage quality. Or do you leave it like this and just wear it as an aged memento? Does anyone know the year? I found this as the only comparable watch I could find. But looks a bit newer (from 1949):

Watch I found online like mine: AntiqueWatchcoUK.

Sorry about the sideways photo. It was right side up when I took it. - Richard

[​IMG]

genghis likes this.
  2. novina Aug 27, 2015

It is a beautiful watch as it sits. Although the dial is aged, called patina by most here, it is still attracitve IMHO. I have seen that watch in ebay auctions but have paid little attention to them as most are bad redials. If yours is truly original, have it serviced and wear it. I am new to Omegas, so I can not give you more than that. I will tell you others will be asking for pictures of the inside of the back case and the movement inside. Omegas have all the information needed to ID the watch and year inside. Look at what others here show and you will understand. Good luck with the watch. That is a great memento to have of your grand father.

3. genghis khan Aug 27, 2015

Welcome. Beautiful watch and it is completely untouched. Just get it's movement serviced by a competent watchmaker and wear it with pride. It's grungy-ness is its fingerprint and makes it unique. Please make sure to tell the watchmaker to NOT polish the case in anyway, as most do it as common practice with an old watch. Repeat that a few times so it gets through. The case on your watch still retains it's original finish and sharp lines which is seldom seen and sought after by watch nerds like us (and now you!) Boy, if this watch could talk... "Rolex who?" Good luck!

Regards,
    Khurram

4. hypnorich Aug 27, 2015

Thank you Genghis and novina. I guess my next step is to take it to a good watchmaker. The amazing thing is it's keeping perfect time. I wound it and set it at 9am this morning, and it's matching the time on my computer still.

genghis likes this.
  5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 27, 2015

These old watche were made to last. No surprise it's still keeping good time. BUT, you can do damage to the movement if it hasn't been cared for. Let it run down and get it in for service as suggested above. And also as noted, be clear that you don't want polishing, basic cleaning and movement service. Looks really great as is.

Congrats and enjoy! That's a great family heirloom!

6. devnull Aug 28, 2015

Love the patina, without it I would not bother to look at it twice.

7. genghis khan Aug 28, 2015

You are very welcome. Where are you located? If you are states side, i would recommend sending it to Jack at International Watch Works (IWW).
    He is in North Carolina and will do a great job with a 1 year warranty for all of his work. Plus a super nice guy to deal with. Only downside - His turn around time for movement service is lengthy - 6 to 9 months! Yeaa! :eek: simply because of his work load. Perhaps some of the other forum members can recommend other service guys depending on your location. Keep us posted on your progress. :thumbsup: -Khurram

8. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Aug 28, 2015

Really nice watch in nice condition.

If you are in the EU I can offer my watchmaking services, please see my website.

www.roberthoran.eu

9. hypnorich Aug 28, 2015

Thanks everyone. I have a guy in Florida who brought my fathers Rolex back to life, that I will probably contact. Not sure if he does Omega, but he did a phenomenal job on what I thought was a completely lost cause. This watch is probably a piece of cake compared to what he had to do with my Dad's Rolex. Anyway - thank you everyone for weighing in on your advice!

10. hypnorich Aug 28, 2015

I'm in NJ, USA by the way. But did not vote for Chris Christie.

mozartman likes this.
  11. Willem023 Aug 28, 2015

Font/ink of the 8, 9 and 10 look a bit off. Have you had it restored or touched-up at some point?
    Otherwise a great looking watch!!

12. hypnorich Aug 28, 2015

No, I just found it. The 8 does look a little thick, font-wise. if you compare it to the thinness of the 4 and 7, but then so does the 3 a little bit too. I have no reason to suspect it was restored any earlier either, as it's not a watch my father would have worn.

13. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Aug 28, 2015

This looks like an obvious redial to me; there are inconsistencies wherever you look. But that's really immaterial at this point. Just enjoy it as found as it's a cool family keepsake.

Willem023 likes this.
  14. solidusd Aug 30, 2015

Looks like a smiths watch to me