Forums Latest Members

Can anyone help identifying a Speedmaster supposedly 1965 (edited)?

1. giampi Jun 5, 2017

Hi Everybody,

can anyone help me with an approximate date an model of this speedmaster? I'm completely new to this, but from what I've understood so far the flatlink bracelet is a 1039 with 4 71 engraved. The second hand is a bit odd as I was only able to find similar models that seem to be from before 1971 pointing to a 381 movement, also the bezel seems to be of a more recent, non DON type. Backside of the watch is also a bit strange because all logo and hippo are quite worn.
    Thanks for any help you can provide! :)

DSCN4205.JPG DSCN4206.JPG DSCN4208.JPG DSCN4209.JPG DSCN4210.JPG DSCN4212.JPG DSCN4220.JPG
  2. bags1971 Jun 5, 2017

my limited knowledge seconds hand looks like a seamaster 300 dial looks pre 69 bracelet is later as is bezel

3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 5, 2017

From what you show, it might be a 105.012-65.

Suggest you order up one of these and open it up, get the serial and the caseback reference.

Aqw1942, Pahawi and BenBagbag like this.
  4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 5, 2017

those Pushers are interesting - possibly a bestfit? Clearly the watch had some service work, perhaps when the bracelet was fitted, along with the bezel.

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. giampi Jun 5, 2017

Ok, thanks for your help! Does that mean pushers, bracelet and bezel were added later on, possibly during servicing? Seems like a valuable piece, so is it stupid to wear it every day, obviously being cautious?
    Cheerz

6. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 5, 2017

If it were my watch I would definitely service it and see what it is I actually have.
    I would not wear it until then.
    Others might.
    It is quite valuable but not crazy. It lacks the correct bezel and pushers, and has an out of date bracelet. But even so it is probably $6000+ as is
    Can never tell with these project watches, if at auction sometimes people pay much higher than we all think they are worth.

Open it up, see what it is, service it and possibly find the correct pushers and bezel, then you might have a $12k+ watch on your hands.

Flies in the ointment might be:
    Wrong case back for rest of case /movement
    Movement damaged or incorrect
    pushers damaged the case (as I think these might not be Omega)

nonuffinkbloke and Foo2rama like this.
  7. giampi Jun 5, 2017

Ok, thank you very much! Actually I'm not really interested in the value other than that I just don't want to do inappropriate or stupid things. I'd simply like to wear it. Selling is no option as it remembers me a most important person :). The movement, pushers and dial work perfectly fine since yesterday, when I got it...

Edited Jun 5, 2017
    ConElPueblo and BenBagbag like this.
  8. bags1971 Jun 5, 2017

family heirloom wear it with pride

9. giampi Jun 5, 2017

Exactly :)

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 5, 2017

This wins best format for what is my Speedmaster worth!

11. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jun 5, 2017

Yes. Wear it with pride... but not just yet! Not until you have it serviced and know that the watch has a reasonable level of water resistance to protect the 321 movement and also the reassurance that the movement is running well.
    5c96bf76-aa3f-4fea-83c2-d2a09e68ff9a.jpg

(The advice given earlier by @Spacefruit is sound and in your best interest);)

Edited Jun 5, 2017
  12. giampi Jun 5, 2017

Ok, as said I don't want to do stupid things so I'll look into that. :) What about the advice not to send it to Omega? How can I find a good certified/qualified service-shop? I'm Munich based...