Forums Latest Members

Can any Cyma fans help me find details about this movement please?

1. Demonfinder Feb 20, 2021

I`ve just received this speculative punt on eBay through my letter box ..what I hope could be a rescueable "Watersport"

The cystal will need replacing-as I suspected from the limited listing pics.
    IMG_20210219_190152155.jpg

The stainless steel case needs a clean up and light polish. It has a Cyma signed crown.

IMG_20210219_190235526_HDR.jpg
    The hopeful news then seems to come to and end when I take the back off
    It has a slightly grubby looking Cyma R 800 movement which someone seems to have tried to adjust the regulator on ...using by the looks of things - a large screwdriver and hammer ala Jeremy Clarkson school of fine engineering.
    The regulator index/finger seems to have gone missing -breaking or loosening the rest of the adjusting ring and leaving one end of the hairspring still attached by the stud but the loose ring flopping around !
    IMG_20210219_185646861_HDR.jpg

There is virtually no info on this movement that I can find on the web so far.
    It is not listed on Dr Ranfft's database and I`ve drawn a blank looking on the Cousins U.K. website too.
    I`m also unsure as to if this is an incabloc anti-shock or the remaining part of Cyma`s system with a piece missing ?.
    By the look of the watch I`m guessing this dates from the late 1950`s or early/mid 1960`s.
    IMG_20210219_185658375_BURST000_COVER.jpg

If anyone can help out with info on this calibre -or family of calibres it may share common parts with I`d be grateful to hear.
    If I can find a pdf or similar to pin down which parts are actually damaged or missing completley
    I might have a chance of reviving this abused piece.

Since posting the above I `ve come across an example on ebay which shows how the balance regulator should look:
    As it should be.jpg
    It has been suggested on another forum I`ve asked for help on that this may be a non Cyma calibre -but from what I`ve read Cyma produced their own movements until 1966 - and to me this piece looks earlier.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to give .

2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 20, 2021

Clearly this caliber was produced by CYMA, but I would say in the '60s and not earlier. My advice would be to find a donor movement, and "marry" the two. Assuming, that is, that you don't mind being patient and spending a bit more money.

Mark020 likes this.
  3. Demonfinder Feb 21, 2021

Thanks @Tony C ..I think that will have to be my plan..strange that so little info on a Cyma movement exists as they were a well regarded company from what I`ve read.
    Looks like I will have to be patient ..I have 3 other Cymas to wear in the meantime.

4. Fallout Boy Feb 24, 2021

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 24, 2021

6. Fallout Boy Feb 24, 2021

ups - sorry....

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 24, 2021

No probs, we all make mistakes, I think I even made one in 1972!

;)

8. Canuck Feb 24, 2021

Looking for a “donor” movement might imply that you could find one in worse shape from which you could transplant the necessary parts to a more worthy candidate. It is my opinion that you already have that “donor” movement, because it is difficult to imagine that you could find another identical movement in worse shape! If (and when) you find a better example, simply transplant the dial and hands from this rough example, and call the job done.