Forums Latest Members

Calling for Rolex experts

1. Uniqez Mar 15, 2017

Ladies and Gentlemen,
    Once again I'm asking for your expertise.I'm trying to pick one Rolex for the everyday beater, my choice stopped on the air kings and date.
    Could you help me determine if these are looking good?
    Sorry for lack of movement pictures, but this is all I have from the seller. Also, I know that the first AirKing has P series, brings this watch to 2000s, dial looks ok to me case maybe lightly polished, Date on jubilee has 8xx series, I believe.For my untrained eye it look OK, but I'm really new to Rolex.
    Another one is airking with Roman numerals, A serial number, had suspected that dial has been touched
    So, my concern is the font used for serial number, does it looks OK to you guys? Obviously, you can clearly see that case has been polished as well.
    Once again I will appreciate any feedback.Thanks in advance.

IMG_1267.JPG IMG_1268.JPG IMG_1269.JPG IMG_1270.JPG
    Edited Jun 10, 2020
  2. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Mar 15, 2017

Get a plastic crystal Air King...the more plain the better in my book...

Uniqez and OMGRLX like this.
  3. Uniqez Mar 15, 2017

I think that one is in the best shape from these three.

4. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise Mar 15, 2017

I vote for the air king too. I always prefer the classic beautiful design over two-tones, romans, blings and the like...

Uniqez likes this.
  5. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 15, 2017

Agreed air King on the left wins. The one with roman numerals feels wrong to me. Can't really tell why but the balance is off to my eye. I could be wrong.

Uniqez likes this.
  6. Uniqez Mar 15, 2017

This is the conclusion @meganfox17 and myself came up with. I don't know why, but I feel the same way. Also, I don't know when they change from tritium lumes, on the date version it says T Swiss made T, not on this one, however my research showed that a lot of watches looks exactly the same. Unless they are wrong as well.

7. The_Walrus Mar 18, 2017

The Air King is a most copied watch..I'm not claiming these are fake but this could be the reason why they all seem the same.
    I'd go with @watchnut 's suggestion, a plexi 5500 worked as a beater for me for 5 years

8. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Mar 18, 2017

Nothing wrong with the A-serial Air King.
    Swiss Made is also fine on the dial for this production year..
    Now if it is a personal preference that you do not like how it looks, that is another issue..

9. Uniqez Mar 18, 2017

Guys, thank you so much for the comments.
    @TTG you are absolutely right, it's legit, and my choice was this one. In person the 5500 one wasn't looking that good and it had a sapphire crystal .The date one was really worn out and had a plexi crystal with cyclop, watch is from 1987.
    Thanks again to everybody who has participated.

10. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Mar 18, 2017

Congrats !

11. Uniqez Mar 18, 2017

Thanks. 20170318_083800.jpg

Bushido and Nobel Prize like this.
  12. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 18, 2017

Congratulations and enjoy! It's 36 mm correct? Well balanced on your wrist

Uniqez likes this.
  13. Bushido Mar 18, 2017

Congratulations! Very clean, classic, good looking dial on that AK.

Uniqez likes this.
  14. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 18, 2017

I just noticed that the roman numeral AK on the first post (the one that seemed wrong) is different from the one you ended up getting. The bezel and bracelet are different. Was it the same seller?

15. Uniqez Mar 18, 2017

You will be surprised, same seller, same watch.
    I think another lesson I've learned during this watch purchase, don't ever go by the seller's pictures. I was going to meet the seller and was 99% positive that I'm going to buy one without numerals, the 5500.
    When I've seen them in person, I've changed my mind rapidly. As you can see from the pictures, hour marks almost looks black. The angle, light and camera that he took a pictures with, made huge difference. One with Roman numerals 14000 ended up being super clean, I love the dial- everything is original, and this combination of black numerals, white dial and SS hour marks and hands just fantastic. Case has been polished a bit on the edges, but it is minor and barely noticeable.
    All of you, including myself were expecting the salmon dial on the 5500 right? When you see it in person it is off gray color, I just didn't like it.
    I guess what I'm trying to say, if you know that seller is legit and know enough about watches to spot redial or fake, do not ever go by the pictures(unless they are made on good camera with right light etc) go and check it in person.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  16. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Mar 18, 2017

It is not the same watch.
    One is a T Swiss T, 8.8 serial and the other is a Swiss Made A serial..

Uniqez likes this.
  17. Uniqez Mar 18, 2017

It is actually 34mm. I have an issue with my wrists, they are small. At the same time I'm 185cm tall and not skinny at all.
    I've been doing all different sports since I was 6 yo from soccer to kick boxing, and of course lifting weights. All that helped me to build up some muscles, but my wrists remained tiny. So, I can wear small watches and big watches and they all will look ok on me)))))

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/58cd8f787d91b/IMG_1769.JPG

If you notice that I'm wearing some huge (45mm),Diver's Incictia (sorry for my language), during my trip to Mexico, and watch doesn't look as big ad it is in reality.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  18. Uniqez Mar 18, 2017

One with the date is T swiss T.