Forums Latest Members
  1. mjb Oct 15, 2019

I was sizing my new speedy last night, and boogered up several of the screws trying to get them out. I also boogered up my inexpensive screwdrivers (OK, they're cheap) and had to take a file to one of them to try and save it.

Of course, every time I do this, I think "I don't need to buy new screwdrivers, as this will be my last xxxxx watch" which of course, never holds true.

The screwdriver that worked almost perfectly, but just a smidgen too wide, was marked with "5/64" which is, I'm guessing, equivalent to a 1.9mm but I wonder if that may be too fat or if it's even available. It would not be a bad investment for me to get a properly sized, well made screwdriver (like a Bergeon) as the Rolex guys rave about them. I believe 1.6mm is the Rolex size, can anyone direct me as to the correct size for the modern Omega bracelets? And any recommendations as well, please, as I don't want to be buying some cheap Chinese knock-off.

Thanks!

2. mjb Oct 15, 2019

Obligatory new watch wrist shot. :) WRUW.jpg

hick8711, stevec14, oddboy and 5 others like this.
  3. Evitzee Oct 15, 2019

Well, we are back to the use of 'booger' vs 'bugger'. You buggered your screws.

I've recently sized the Apollo 11 and Trilogy bracelets with no issues, but offhand I don't remember the size driver I used. A proper driver will not bottom on the screws slot but will be supported by the sides, most damage is caused by a too thin of blade. Along with the right tool you need good light and a steady hand. And I always use a drop of purple thread fastener to secure them.

Edited Oct 15, 2019
  4. mjb Oct 15, 2019

Apologies. Maybe it's an American vs. UK thing?

Several years ago I decided to stop using profanity, and it's really impaired my communication.

marco, duc and Evitzee like this.
  5. Evitzee Oct 15, 2019

Maybe, Merriam-Webster US site says bugger can mean 'botch' or 'bungle', which you did. That's normal US use of the word, not considered profane. Booger is good old dried nasal mucus in the US.

Americans generally don't use bugger in the normal UK definition.

Two nations separated by a common language.

Edited Oct 15, 2019
    Pun and ConElPueblo like this.
  6. PhilF Oct 15, 2019

Just an fyi, the Correct screwdriver that fits these itsy screws is a Horotec 52.0207-200, got mine from www.esslinger.com, but I'm sure they are on Amazon or Ebay. It fits and no profanity necessary, although, as mentioned otherwhere in this forum, heating the screw with a small soldering iron tip first makes removal easier as Omega uses some thread-locking compound on the threads.

marco, mjb and Evitzee like this.
  7. mjb Oct 15, 2019

Thanks Phil! I used a heat gun, but a soldering iron is probably a better alternative, more directed heat, won't set towel on fire.

8. mjb Oct 15, 2019

I can't find just that particular one, should I assume that it is 2mm? Because they don't seem to offer a 1.9 and the sets include 1.8 and 2.

9. Martin_F Oct 15, 2019

Can't find it right now, but I've read somewhere on here yesterday that it's supposed to be 2mm.
    I'll add the link if I can find it...

10. GMTspeedmaster Oct 15, 2019

great work!

11. mjb Oct 30, 2019

Thanks @PhilF and everyone else... I did order the correct size from Esslinger (along with a 1.6 in case I ever buy another Rolex) and moved the clasp around on the bracelet... soooooo much easier with the correct tool, no buggering-up (LOL @Evitzee thanks to you too) of the screws either.

DaveK likes this.
  12. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Oct 30, 2019

Great that it worked! I am also quite pleased that the buggering conversation went so much better than the last time.

mjb likes this.
  13. PhilF Oct 30, 2019

I believe that is correct, I'll measure it later and verify
    2mm is correct, blade is .24mm thick at the tip

mjb likes this.
  14. PhilF Oct 30, 2019

There is absolutely no substitute for having the proper tools for any job, especially precision work on highly polished & refined watch bracelets that literally cost almost $1000, having the tools and learning the proper procedures & techniques is the proper thing to do having made the investment. Even the purchase & proper use of a quality springbar tool pays dividends in value retention.

15. Walrus Oct 30, 2019

The right tools for the right fix make life easier. Big comparison but I was putting a new belt on my snow blower and need to pull a spring back in place. Screwed around for 45 minutes get all pissed off, got the proper tool took me two minutes. There is another us uk thing, pissed of, here it means mad and for you guys it means drunk. You guys really need to change your words or this whole thing could blow up in our faces

16. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 31, 2019

redpcar, Lurk41 and rbob99 like this.
  17. michael22 Oct 31, 2019

Wrist shots?
    This is a thread about screwdrivers.
    20191031_173755.jpg

oddboy and rbob99 like this.
  18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 31, 2019

michael22 and JimInOz like this.
  19. gbesq Oct 31, 2019

I just take my watches to my trusted jeweler. He has the proper tools, charges me $10, and doesn’t do any damage as I’m sure I would.

20. danielbird193 Oct 31, 2019

"Pissed" does mean drunk, but "pissed off" has exactly the same meaning for us as for you!

Language is crazy, I know.