Forums Latest Members
  1. diveguy Jul 11, 2012

i just came to own a (circa) 1955 gold seamaster (not a chrono, no date, just time). Crystal and crown are not original omega an want to know how to find the caliber to order. I did not take the back off but online pics only appear to show movement serial number.

Can some tell me where is the caliber> Anything else I need to know to order the parts. Any idea of where to order?

Thanks

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 11, 2012

The caliber is the model number of the movement. It is generally engraved on the movement, although on very old Omegas (pre WWII) it may be hidden underneath the balance wheel.

In the above picture the caliber is 560, the case reference is KL6312.

[​IMG]

Case parts like the crown or crystal are ordered by the case reference number inside the case back, not the caliber. Many Omega watches sold in the US in the 1950's came with American made cases. Omega generally doesn't stock parts for these cases and you may need to go generic.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

3. diveguy Jul 12, 2012

Thanks for the info. I took the back off yesterday (think I just voided my cleanup warranty). The calibre is a 354 and the model/case?? is 2577-22 SC. Based on the S/N of 13692728..., the internet charts seems to put int in the year 1952/1953 area. Synchronized it with the time on my cell phone 4 days ago and it seems to be in perfect step so far.

Few questions if anyone can help...

1. The guy that cleaned it uyp replaced the crown without omega emblem, and too big. Any where/website I can get a crown?
    2. It's a gold watch but inside in a pinkish brass movement. Very clean. I read somewhere that this could by a |"rose gold" movement. Is this true.
    3. Is it possible to get original dial??

Wactch is pretty clean. I think the crown and crystal are the only non original parts and want to bring it back to as close as possible. Any ideas of suppliers will help.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 12, 2012

Afaik the movements are beryllium copper plated, not rose gold

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 13, 2012

1. Yes, you should be able to get a signed replacement crown. If it is a Ref. 2577 (very common, I have one as well), the proper crown looks like a clover.

[​IMG]

2. Dsio covered this point above.

3. Not likely. If the dial needs replacement, it will either need to be refinished, or you will need to buy another watch with a better dial to do a swap.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

6. diveguy Jul 13, 2012

Sorry, the model was a 2577 (don't know why I wrote 3277 but corrected it). I saw some crowns at ofrei.com. Anyone hear of this or is there a known supplier.

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 13, 2012

That's where the picture comes from. Ofrei.com or Jules Borel are both good sources in the USA. Cousins in the UK.

Take care,
    gatorcpa