Forums Latest Members

Cal. 290 Winding Mechanism

1. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Feb 11, 2017

Here is a rudimentary illustration showing the flow of energy in the winding mechanism of a cal. 290. The red markings indicate that a given wheel is receiving energy but not transferring it. I hope that this is somewhat useful and correct. The image has been taken from this fantastic resource: https://watchguy.co.uk/cgi-bin/library Please excuse the severed watermark.
    290.4.JPG water.JPG

Edited Feb 11, 2017
    micampe and argonbeam like this.
  2. argonbeam Feb 13, 2017

I love his website and have learned a lot about various manufacturers and their movements. Recently bought an ultra chron for a pretty decent price, although it was one of the uglier square cases with a gold round bezel. What sold me on it was the Watch Guy had serviced it not too long ago.

3. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Feb 13, 2017

4. argonbeam Feb 22, 2017

Here it is. Just arrived from England yesterday. New band, crystal, winding stem, and service. For the price I paid I essentially got the rest of the watch for free. Sure is a clunky thing but will have its time and place to be worn.
    Nice when the Ultrachrons are already serviced when I buy them. My watchmaker says he enjoys working on them, but saves me a bit of cash.

ultrachron.JPG