Forums Latest Members

Cal 1040 auto: hold my hand on the elapsed minutes hand please....

1. tikkathree Aug 23, 2019

I'm sorry that photos are going to have, for now at least, to wait: I hope you'll understand why.
    Today I've taken delivery of a Seamaster automatic powered by the 1040 movement. The watch is pretty much everything it was claimed to be; over the course of 7 hours it has kept good time, certainly being on the same minute.
    The chrono runs, starts, stops correctly but on the reset pusher the elapsed minutes hand doesn't reset to 12 but to around 36 minutes: consistently. With the chrono running the elapsed minute hand tracks correctly against elapsed seconds and elapsed hours.

My instinct is that the elapsed minute hand simply needs resetting. What do you guys think please?

I haven't yet spoken with the seller but intend to do so.

2. tikkathree Aug 24, 2019

No-one willing to express an opinion on whether I've been had or whether this should be a simple fix?

BTW, the watch has not lost / gained anything worth worrying about overnight.

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 24, 2019

If the hand resets to the same place, it does sound like all that would be needed for that specific issue, is to remove and set the hand on properly.

But if the watch has no service history, you should consider getting it serviced - timekeeping is not a reliable indicator of the condition of the movement.

4. tikkathree Aug 24, 2019

Archer thanks for your reply. Service history is er anecdotal so my intention is to ask Simon Freese to take a good look at the watch inside and out.