Forums Latest Members

Buying used worth it over Jomashop?

1. Hands90 Oct 31, 2016

Money. No one can beat the price.

2. ac106 Oct 31, 2016

If you were are that price sensitive you should probably buy used

3. VillageIdiot Nov 1, 2016

Well, there have been a number of stories about jomashop over the years, on various forums. While I'm still willing to buy from jomashop, I'd be cautious. There are some strong recommendations on when and how to buy a GM watch, and I think this post puts it best: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f23/th...ough-ad-grey-market-3710362.html#post34993562

4. CaptDngr Nov 1, 2016

So far, I've had luck with Jomashop and Watchmaxx. Still cautious, and still acknowledge that if something is wrong, it's purely on me (so +1 to the link above that explains the math behind it all -- the discount with going GM has to be greater than the cost of a full out-of-pocket paid factory authorized repair).

I've only done Jomashop and Watchmaxx... Based on extensive forum research in the past.

I know of a few other GM dealers, but I don't have experience with them. Curious to know if anyone else has: AuthenticWatches, Prestige Time, Luxury of Time.

5. mdgrwl Nov 1, 2016

I personally would always consider used / mint with Authorized Dealer cards over Jomashop anyday. Pricing should be similar / the same. If its not a beat up watch and mint, I'd take it with the assurance of a true warranty. Jomsahop's warranty is worthless in my personal experience. Never again!

6. Hands90 Nov 1, 2016

This is the reason people pay the same for used as they do for grey market.
    I'll gamble with the grey market.

7. mdgrwl Nov 1, 2016

True Story:
    Years ago before I became a dealer I purchased a new Speedmaster Professional from Jomashop. It was advertised as the collectors box set but when I got it, it was a regular small box, the watch, and 2 nato straps and the strap changing tool - that's it! There is more to the Jomashop picture than low prices & warranty vs. no warranty. Moral & Ethics are in play and they have little of it.

I also purchased a Skyfall Aqua Terra from AuthenticWatches.com years back... it came with dust under the crystal. Long story short, 3 trips back and forth and they still couldn't get the dust out. When I asked for a refund it was a trial for sure because nothing was "defective" with the watch, lol.

I may seem like a grey market hater, especially given my position as a dealer - but I have personal experience with them and I'll tell you, they are straight up terrible. If you get a good watch and nothing goes wrong, and you plan on keeping that watch for life without ever selling it - sure you got a deal. But - if you ever do run into an issue or plan to re-sell the watch down the road - that is when the ugly GM side reveals itself. Everything comes at a cost.

I've learned just buy AD pieces... pay the extra few bucks from a trusted seller and live with piece of mind.

Just my opinion based on personal experience.

Bushido likes this.
  8. pianomankd Nov 1, 2016

I've bought both my new Speedy and new Seamaster 300 from Watchmaxx and have a wonderful experience both times. The watch arrived with everything that was advertised and in perfect new condition. Both times they've personally called me to ask if everything was to my satisfaction and if I had any issues. I'd recommend Watchmaxx to anyone who asked.