Forums Latest Members

Buying used worth it over Jomashop?

1. roobyroobyroo Oct 6, 2016

I have been keeping an eye on the used prices of Omega Speedmaster Professionals and I have seen prices in the range of $2900 to $3500 (if there is some remaining warranty). Most times, the burden of paypal fees fall on the buyer which adds ~$100. Why are people still buying these used watches over Jomashop watches which come with the additional nato strap for $3475? Is it worth the ~$400 difference to buy used? Most of these used watches have expired warranties too... Are the people buying these used watches primarily forum members who plan on wearing the watch for a year or two and then re-selling for minimal loss? I am just curious because I plan on purchasing a speedy pro soon to keep long term, and I am sometimes tempted by the savings...

cmann_97 likes this.
  2. VillageIdiot Oct 6, 2016

Also keep in mind that used watches usually need a servicing, too. If you do that, that's several hundred more dollars ...

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 7, 2016

It's a slippery slope trying to save a few dollars sometimes so due diligence. I bought one new a few years ago and went AD for peace of mind with full Omega warranty unlike jomashop

Most forum members are after early Speedmasters not few year old examples.

I would say most buying recent used are people like yourself looking for there first wanting to save a bit.

watch3s likes this.
  4. Lapanouse Oct 7, 2016

I always buy used, but if you're buying something modern and the price difference is less than the cost of a complete DCLR, buying new wouldn't be as terrible thing.

5. soybeanwatch Oct 7, 2016

My first Omega... Electric Blue was purchased brand new. If money is no object buy new.. as there's nothing like getting/wearing a watch that has never been on anyone's wrist. But... tech the watch you tried on at the Boutique/AD was tried on by somebody else as well....

In the end... I can't speak for most, but some watches are built like tanks and the extra savings... warranty or not is worth it to me. If there isn't a huge discrepancy between new and used (Daytona's etc..) I'll still go new, but for the most case used allows the original owner to take the initial depreciation hit and if I decide to sell later on.... it won't hurt as much.

broulstone likes this.
  6. RightYouAreKen Oct 7, 2016

Buy new from a place like Chitown or a guy like Kringkilly and get a new watch with warranty for around what Joma charges. Then it's a no brainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

potterydog, KstateSkier and ac106 like this.
  7. Ronin78 Oct 13, 2016

I purchased a new Speedmaster from JomaShop a few months ago.

It was losing time. A lot of time. I asked for an exchange to begin with. I asked for a new watch of the same model. They declined my request. I had the watch for a total of 10 days. Less than that if you consider shipping time to me and back to them.

Long story short they insulted me from the beginning by telling me that mechanical watches are jewelry and not meant to be accurate. Which is utterly absurd.

I finally requested a refund after the way things has been handled and the way I had been treated. They again declined me on the grounds that the watch was cosmetically damaged. Which was absolutely false. It's a good thing that I am like most WIS and had taken many pics of the watch which were time and date coded.

They continued to assert that the watch was damaged. I sent all of the pics to my credit card company who eventually refunded my money.

It was a terrible experience. I would rather spend the extra money and have piece of mind.

Many people love JomaShop and I'm sure that do a lot of business and people are happy. However if you are one of few who have a problem then they are a nightmare to deal with.

I say go to a trusted seller on the forums or an AD. Good luck.

cmann_97 and WurstEver like this.
  8. Wools Oct 14, 2016

Never heard of JomaShop before, are they US focused?

I have never brought a pre-owned watch and don't think I ever could. Wearing a watch that has been on someone else's hand for years or decades has little appeal to me, I like the idea of my own watch and making my own history with it. However, there's one exception to that; if my Dad or a family member passed one down to me as I'll feel closer to them. As always with watches, it really is personal to you!

History aside, I've always saved up for watches or purchased them brand new. I could never afford big Swiss watches as a kid but knew how brilliant Seiko's were so when I got my first big pay cheque, I ran out and brought one. Now I'm older and lucky enough to be better off, I own a Tag Heuer F1 McLaren and am currently considering buying my first Omega this weekend!

I prefer having a brand new watch as you know you're the first wearer of it, it's backed up by guarantees incase there's any defects and there's normally good finance options too. I have used Beaverbrooks in the UK and they have been brilliant to me with every purchase so enjoy going back there, 0% finance too!

9. triumphrox Oct 14, 2016

I too have had less than satisfying dealings with Jomashop, in my case it was them saying a watch was in stock when in fact it wasn't. Long story. Anyway I've no problem buying used but second the motion about dealing with a trusted seller on the forum.

10. Ritzwatch Oct 14, 2016

Also, specifically for the speedies, many I have seen on Joma have a sapphire crystal. Even among those who can only pay for newer models there
    are plenty who prefer a hesalite crystal, and those are often on used models.

11. triumphrox Oct 14, 2016

I bought my Speedy from watchvaultnyc, a member here with lots of reviews. Great communications, great watch. Recommended.

watch3s likes this.
  12. gostang9 Oct 14, 2016

I got a brand new Speedy (Hesalite) from Chitownwatch with full modern Moonwatch case, loupe, change tool and extra straps for $3500 shipping/PayPal/credit-card included. The watch arrived in a few days brand new with warranty cards and I cannot imagine buying from an AD would have provided any additional value or benefit. (I have bought new watch from AD before, they fit watch to my wrist, explained the features and I was out in <20 mins... Not worth extra 10 to 30% cost in my eyes).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RightYouAreKen likes this.
  13. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Oct 14, 2016

Just out of curiosity, how much time was it losing?

14. Bushido Oct 14, 2016

I will add to the list of having a crappy experience with Joma. Go for a reputable seller and receive a fully BNIB with complete warranty if you do not wish to buy via AD nor boutique.

15. Ronin78 Oct 16, 2016

Between 7 and 10 minutes overnight every time. For three nights in a row. Made sure it was fully wound etc. Mechanical things can go bad and any company can put out a bad item. The way they handled it was the absolute worst customer service that I've ever had. Ever.

16. dlg Oct 17, 2016

I had a wonderful experience with Jomashop, if I'm putting my two cents in.

Wonderful experience meaning I paid them, and they shipped a brand new Speedmaster 311 to me a few days later. That was about 6 months ago, and my watch is always within 3-7 seconds off in a day.

Would buy again.

17. TripleCalendar Oct 17, 2016

I'm new to the forum. Who are the recommended sources here? I see Kringkily and Chitown watches mentioned. Is there anyone else I should check? I'm searching for a blue dialed Speedmaster 57.

18. Hands90 Oct 31, 2016

It's really a shame to hear stories like this. I'm going to buy from ebay. With ebay even if you go through a grey market dealer, you get buy protection and you can write reviews of the seller.

19. dlg Oct 31, 2016

Why don't you just go through one of the trusted sellers on OmegaForums?

20. ac106 Oct 31, 2016

Would you really make a decision on where to buy a multi-thousand dollar watch based on the opinion of one guy with three posts?

I'm not saying he's right or wrong but it's one data point (and it's pretty shakey imo)