Forums Latest Members
  1. yoily Mar 23, 2015

Please help,
    the past few months I have been buying what i believe to be bargain watches on ebay and taking them to local stores and putting them on consignment and waiting for them to sell to make a profit, i have made some money but this buisness model just inst working. people look to ebay and expect to get the same prices. i have tryd to buy watches through the classifieds also in order to get good prices but i really lack the skills to verify or validate anything. are there any tips to buying watches that would be at a price that i can resell on ebay? or ideas where i can buy watches or anything to help with my business model. I love watches with a passion and i am hopeing one day to design my own watches consisting of Swiss movements. please advise me ! need help and connections! Im not a greedy man and would be happy to make even a few dollars of ebay sales.

2. Sherbie Mar 23, 2015

No offence intended here at all, and please take what i write with a pinch of salt - but have you really thought this business model through? Not sure you are qualified for this, after all you write " you lack the skills to verify or validate anything"

I,d quit now and leave it to the professionals - these guys and gals add value in some way shape or form

Cheers, paul

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 23, 2015

One of the watches in the thread of yours that was deleted that you are currently trying to sell is a fake, so since it has bids on it you're about to rip someone off selling them a dud. As a result I would recommend you stay away from that "business model" entirely...

To be a watch dealer you need to have a near encyclopaedic knowledge of the models you sell, if you don't you're going to leave a lot of very upset and disappointed people in your wake.

4. Pasbru Mar 23, 2015

Good Advice guys.....and good restraint as well.......if you know what I mean.;)

bazamu and Sherbie like this.
  5. calalum Mar 23, 2015

Maybe spend a few years working in the biz model and learning about the market, watches, etc. Just a thought. Not sure what businesses there are where you can take short cuts to success.

6. redpcar Mar 23, 2015

You should stick with what you like to do. I hope that it isn't your primary source of income. I do it as a hobby. Sell everything on ebay. I buy broken watches and fix them myself. Add value then resale. If you are competing against ebay, keep that in mind when you buy your watches. If you pay somebody to fix, you have to buy REALLY low. There are plenty of side benefits of hunting for watches. Gold, for instance. I have an account at a smelter and melt all my gold filled junk to cash. When you are hunting watches, check out the vintage sunglasses, jewelry, etc. Develop an eye for high end stuff and sell it, too.
    Just some thoughts.....

gemini4 and ock2915 like this.
  7. ulackfocus Mar 23, 2015

Sure, waltz right in and expect overnight success without any knowledge. I mean, who needs to be educated or have experience in the job they choose?

Pasbru, Nobel Prize, bazamu and 2 others like this.
  8. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Mar 23, 2015

Sorry to be blunt, but if you have to ask this question you need to hear this: Rule #1 of common business sense...know what you are selling. If you lack the skills or knowledge you shouldn't be in business.
    First you are going to fail, but worse you are going to mislead those who assume you know what you are doing. My advise- Spend your time researching and learning about a specific type of watch...then when you are an expert, you might come back and try this again but focused only on the watches you have knowledge on.

There is wisdom in the old proverb:
    A fool and his money are soon parted.

djmusicman likes this.
  9. timeismoney Mar 23, 2015

::facepalm1::...Hmmm....this sounds like a certain duckling...Anyway, without any knowledge, I see only two possible outcomes 1. You will either get ripped off buying on ebay or 2. You will buy a piece of junk and then go on to rip another unsuspecting noob off, either way it doesn't make a sound business model. Just because you can sell doesn't make you a dealer.

bazamu likes this.
  10. imexian Mar 24, 2015

Another watch "chancer" hopeing to make an easy buck. Ebay, is a minefield of this type of thing. As usual this character wants to bang pics on here and get experts to verify if real, how good and the million dollar question, how much?
    I'm not posting on this thread after this one, as its knobish....
    Ian

cristos71 likes this.
  11. Davidt Mar 24, 2015

I want to be a neurosurgeon but i can't be arsed to spend time and money at medical school. I'll just take pics during my surgeries and send them to real doctors who can tell me where to attach this bit of squidgy purple stuff.

Ridiculous.

watchyouwant, watchme, NT931 and 4 others like this.
  12. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Mar 24, 2015

Wait what? I am starting to grow tired of the use of this forum to help buy and sell their craft. Instead of using the search function or taking the time to learn and be part of this wonderful community posters such as the OP just blatantly uncover the truth behind the reason they are here and add little value to the group.

13. rogart ray it again, Ram. Mar 24, 2015

Start a special section for asking about value of watches :eek:

14. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 24, 2015

We would need a sub-forum for "Uncle Watches", not to be confused with the "How much is this watch worth" section.

15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 24, 2015

Like all the cooking reality shows that pit amateur cooking minded people against each other i am going to give you the same advice i scream at the TV ( Become a fucking chef )

Watchmaker for you

watchyouwant likes this.
  16. John R Smith Mar 24, 2015

I think we need another sub-forum for "Grandfather Watches", as well . . . ;)

17. ulackfocus Mar 24, 2015

Windy & I used to eat at Carman's Country Kitchen near 10th and Washington. The owner, and cook, was one of the whackiest but most interesting women we knew. She had a Rolex on one day that started us talking, and man did she have some great stories. My two favorite signs on the wall were "A fool and his money...... make a great date!" and "Carman puts the 'c*nt' in country".

Here's the problem George: it isn't their craft. If it were, they'd know what they're doing. These people have NO intention of reaching the knowledge level required to make it their job, they want to sponge data and experience off us FOR FREE so they can make an easy dollar. NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

I'm wondering if a minimum post count should be mandatory, and proof that you've done some homework yourself, before you can start asking about watches.

EDIT: Now that some of you have seen the repetitive nature of watch forums and this kind of crap, imagine dealing with it over 6 or 7 years. Not just seeing it, but having to handle cleaning it up and the inevitable load of grief a mod gets having to deal with these characters behind the scenes after their thread gets deleted or they get a bunch of shit like in this thread. Now, I'm all for giving these putzes what they deserve - at best, we can call it tough love - so don't stop. ;)

azroxx likes this.
  18. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Mar 24, 2015

Buy low, sell high .

Darlinboy likes this.
  19. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Mar 24, 2015

Sounds like Uber.

20. Concorde Mar 24, 2015

Sorry, but the passion and love that you claim to have for watches l doubt exists. If that were true you would not be here asking for such help.