Forums Latest Members

Buying Speedmaster - How is this looking?

1. Lugduno Sep 21, 2017

I've been looking into buying a Speedmaster as a first "real" watch for quite some time and have managed to find what seems to be a good piece from TTwatches.com. I also went to see the watch in question today and was positively surprised of how good quality it seemed to be and how little scratches the watch had. The timepiece is from 2004 and I was expecting quite used condition.
    But I think you are better of seeing the quality of Omegas and I'd now love to get your comments. The price is hard to fight, but is the watch worth it? (Comes with box and papers).
    https://www.chrono24.se/omega/speedmaster-moon-watch-35705000-box-papers--id6790215.htm

Many thanks in advance!
    Jim
    IMG_0001.jpg IMG_0003.jpg IMG_0004.jpg IMG_0002.jpg

mikechi22 likes this.
  2. gdupree Sep 21, 2017

Yeah, I mean looks like a new speedy, in near new condition, with a near new price. So everything about it says 'par for the course' to me.

These are not hard to find, so IMO I'm not sure that it's best price you can get, but probably not too far off. If you like it, and trust the seller, it would be a fine move. at 13 years old, I would want to know if it's been serviced, and ideally want it to be verifiable serviced before it's sold to you.

Rodmar and Foo2rama like this.
  3. SteveHarris Sep 21, 2017

It's not far off what you can pick up a new to be honest. Jomashop have new ones for roughly that price. You would of course have to pay shipping and taxes but still, you'll have a new one.

Steve

4. rcs914 Sep 21, 2017

Jomashop has had ones for less than that recently, brand new in the large box with all the extra goodies. I have no idea if they ship to Europe though, or what the best options are for buying over there. But essentially you are paying a new grey market price for a 13 year old watch. Since neither have an Omega warranty, I know which I would choose.

Several times in the past year Jomashop has had the leather strap version with the box for $3075 and the bracelet version for $3275. Right now the bracelet version is $3350.

5. Mozziebite Sep 21, 2017

Looks spot on to me, but I'd echo that you need to find out it's service history. If it's 13 years old, even if it's had little use, it might be due for one and that'll effectively add £500+ to the price. And for that price you could get a next-to-new one, probably in the new "big" box with all the bits and bobs.

Foo2rama likes this.
  6. Lugduno Sep 21, 2017

Thanks for your comments! I asked the seller today and he didn't have any service record, however I plan to go back when my contact is back and can give a more precise answer. They do however guarantee that it's functional and running, but off course this doesn't say anything about the need for service. Both of you raise very valid points and in a worst case scenario, I'd have to hand it in for service quite soon, something that would be annoying but somewhat acceptable for me.

JomaShop is not an option since I live outside of the U.S. and the shipping+taxes+customs would be too much. With that said, I'm not really sure if I "need" a brand new watch. I've compared both the older reference and new, and the only difference is off course the screwed link, something that I don't care enough about to buy the premium. Off course you'd get the new box and all the extra straps and stuff, however, I'd be struggling to bring the large suitcase of a box when I move, and the extra straps doesn't get me too excited to be honest.

7. Mozziebite Sep 21, 2017

No, but you'd get £300-£400 for the box on eBay... ;)

8. Lugduno Sep 21, 2017

It would be a nightmare to ship though (and especially internationally), but €300 is always €300;)

Rodmar likes this.
  9. gdupree Sep 21, 2017

Fair points. Assuming you're in to non-vintage references, this would be an on-par purchase. I just bought an all correct '74, 145.022-74 reference for $2500. Even after I get it serviced, it will be at that price.

It is worth reiterating, as a rule if it does not have any recent and verifiable records of service then always plan on it needing a $500-700 service. And if it does have service records, then plan on it needing a $500-700 service. :). Might seem overly cautious, but I think it's the only responsible way of buying a used speedy.

10. Lugduno Sep 21, 2017

Nah, vintage is not really my cup of tea (yet) and although it would be fun to have a Speedy from the year I was born it's a bit of a hassle to fine one in good condition (especially since I want to "wear it in" myself).

Your plan for servicing is very good to keep in mind and my personal opinion in this case (please correct me if you think I'm wrong) is that even if it needs a service I'm okay with it. But I'll deffinatley contact some Omega AD's close to me and ask what they take for servicing a Speedy!

11. Ssunnylee24 Sep 21, 2017

Check out our for sale section.

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 21, 2017

IMG_4672.JPG
    What's wrong with a Birthyear?

Rodmar likes this.
  13. Lugduno Sep 21, 2017

Off course nothing wrong with birth year watch, and I really like the idea of it. But I'm one of those who want my watch in excellent condition, with the only visible marks made by me during my various adventures. Then it becomes quite hard to find a birthyear watch.

On another note, what a great patina you got over there!

Foo2rama likes this.
  14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 21, 2017

Thanks, looks better in person

You can get a mint 72 with the regular back for aboutnthe price of new.

Lugduno and Rodmar like this.
  15. Mozziebite Sep 22, 2017

Everything, if you were born in 1965.. :D

Foo2rama likes this.
  16. Lugduno Sep 22, 2017

Well, they had some good watches anyway;)

17. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 22, 2017

Or 1958

Mozziebite likes this.
  18. ras47 Sep 22, 2017

Jomashop has good prices but you don’t get the Omega warranty with their watches.

19. Lugduno Sep 22, 2017

Really? Wow, I had just assumed that Jomashop offered Omega's World Wide guarantee, but apparently not. Jomashop was not an option for me in this case anyway and it won't matter since pre-owned is not covered by Omega, but it's always good to know for the future!

20. gdupree Sep 22, 2017

He can't Jomashop as he's not in the states. Here I was naively thinking the internet was everywhere ::facepalm2::.

Oh that's how that works. Boy do i wish i were born in '65 now
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Omega-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network