Forums Latest Members
  1. M.Andree Aug 11, 2020

Hi, is there any unknown rules/things to avoid (or avoid the sites all together) for buying off sites like Chrono24?

2. Sherbie Aug 11, 2020

I avoid C24 Religiously

now While there may be some decent dealers in there, most of the vintage stuff is way overpriced

i’d stick to the sales forum here, if I were you

3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 11, 2020

If you do a site search I can assure you, you will find a thousand reasons not to.

SpeedyPhill, DaveK and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  4. Dan S Aug 11, 2020

What other sites are you asking about, aside from C24?

5. gbesq Aug 11, 2020

+1. That being said, there are good vintage watches and bargains to be found everywhere, but education and knowledge are critical to separating the gold from the straw. The private sales forum on OF has an inherent advantage over sites like C24 and eBay because many sellers are also long term members with established reputations and reviews from past buyers. We also like to see vintage watches stay within the OF community. So, bottom line, you should try to make your first few purchases here at least until you have acquired sufficient knowledge about buying vintage timepieces to branch out to other sites.

Edited Aug 11, 2020
  6. rootbeer7 Aug 12, 2020

I made a great connection on C24, someone I still work with now. It’s all about due diligence. I found a watch and contacted the dealer. I then contacted him separately via a google search. After an initial discussion, he was happy to bring the watch to my office to view. Since then, we have done a number of deals on watches and some jewellery.
    Use it as a ‘watch google’ initially, rather than a shop is my advice.

7. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Aug 12, 2020

I’ve bought two watches on C24 recently. Both very competitively priced, both shipped quickly (from Japan and from the Czech Republic) and both in excellent condition.

The escrow system seems to work well.

Obviously I’ve been collecting for a while and have a reasonable idea of what I’m doing.

The advantage of C24 over the OFPSF is that if you’re looking for a particular watch, you’re more likely to see it on C24 than waiting on the off chance that an OF member has one to sell at the right price and in the right condition.

And speaking of price and condition, and based on the above, C24 is, arguably, less of a lottery than eBay.

8. stevec14 Aug 12, 2020

I’ve used chrono 24 a couple of times. Both were flawless transactions. I always discuss the watch with the seller first to get an idea about them, and if possible do a google search to look for feedback.

the couple of times I’ve bought have been modern watches so less pitfalls. I can confirm the escrow system seems ok however but obviously have not had to deal with a dispute.

don’t assume everything is rosy. Take your time and do some due diligence. That being the case, it can be a good place to source watches.

Mouse_at_Large and Spruce like this.
  9. Aquariusmatic Aug 12, 2020

I use Chrono24 and find it quite a tool to find some gems, but the kind of first contact you set up with the person on the other side usually sets the tone and the mood, I made two great connections via C24 - both guys from the states. One guy picked up "Only US Shipping" watches for me and forwarded them to Europe like we were old mates. The other guy is from LA we somehow went from buying an old Breitling to me buying car parts from his brother at wholesale prices.

Just luck I guess, but for any future purchase for "keepers" I'll consult these forums first no matter the selling platforms.

OmegaP99 likes this.
  10. RonH Aug 13, 2020

I think if an experienced watch buyer that can do your own assessment of authenticity and pricing it may be a good resource...but I think their use of term VERIFIED DEALER is misleading. I was recently on search for Omega Seamaster...90s-00s....Bond style or black face. I wanted no major dings, scratches, or scuffs with full bracelet as I have large hands but narrow wrists. Did the Crown&Caliber searches and found a few but none really stood out as what I wanted or had some blemish that I was not sure I could live with for that price. So one dealer had a watch listed as a 2220.80 Co-Axial that they did not know the year of....their description listed 2500 calibre movement. A check of the serial number shows it was a watch from 2006. Then you read the Description and it lists it as 2541.80 but I thought that watch had the 1538 movement in it....which is a quartz movement not automatic as listed. So then I wondered if it was a franken watch...as neither listing fully described the watch shown in ad for sale. The serial number on case shown with watch is 80723053 for 2006....but 2541 Quartz is 1990s, correct? So case says one thing, face/hands say another, they list wrong calibre for 2541.80 but movement listed is Co-Axial and doesnt match watch face.
    I could be making something out of nothing...but threw red flags so I contacted dealer and asked them to confirm model and if they could send pic of movement to confirm as well. No response. I asked them about the things I listed above....wrong face/hands for 2220.80, wrong movement for 2541.80......case is newer than dial/movement. No response. So sent message to Chrono24 to see if they could get response and listed my concerns from a verified dealer....No response. So I ran as fast as I could from that site and bought from Crown & Caliber. Here is the listing.... If I am totally off base will send apology to dealer and Chrono24..... but what am I missing? https://www.chrono24.com/omega/omega-seamaster-diver-300-m--id15038247.htm

Chrono242220_2541_2.jpg Chrono242220_2541_1.jpg
  11. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Aug 13, 2020

The moral, if there is one, is you must always do your checks, whether it’s C24, eBay, etsy, an auction or even OF sales.

And if in doubt, unless you are happy to take the hit if it all goes wrong, then walk away ....... or as some on OF advise, “RUN!!!!”.

12. Yelfel Aug 13, 2020

I've made a purchase of an AP RO on Chrono24 from a private seller based in Singapore and that transaction went very smoothly. An Omega Constellation from a verified seller in Japan, not so much. They shipped to the wrong address, but ultimately refunded all costs. Communication was great on both transactions and both ended without much drama. Communication and due diligence is key as it always is in any online transaction.

Spruce likes this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 13, 2020

This is a 25318000, so not co-axial or quartz. It has a Cal. 1120 inside.

Serial number: 80723053
    Article ref: 25318000

ChiefMark likes this.
  14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 13, 2020

Bought a hard to find modernish LE watch (2006] off Chrono24 from a not so favoured by many dealer on there when it comes to vintage watches. Only place I found box papers and even both bracelet and rubber strap.

So probably 2 red flags for some but worked out fine.

Plenty of reasons to stay away from Chrono24 but some good eggs in the basket sometimes. Remember it is a selling platform for dealers and private sellers.

15. RonH Aug 13, 2020

so listing is all messed up. LOL

16. davidswiss Aug 13, 2020

I ought one watch from a dealer on C24 quite a few years ago, was happy with the price, dealer and the watch.
    I tried selling once. It didn't work out but sold it soon after anyway.
    I think it's already been said just be careful and have some idea what the price should be for what you want.

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 13, 2020

Very

18. Shabbaz Aug 13, 2020

Chrono is just a marketplace. Nothing more and nothing less. They just invented a website where dealers, but also private sellers like me, can sell their watches. And chrono take their fee for the escrow service. That's it. Due dilligence is essential. Like always.

Spruce likes this.
  19. kip595 Aug 13, 2020

As one member pointed out, it is a good reference a la google. I have been able to check on some JDM-only Seiko pieces for instance that were no longer listed on Seiko's site but could be cross reffed from postings on c-24 against whatever I was looking at. For stuff like that it can be helpful, and for very unusual pieces (just missed a Nomos Amsterdam edition, first I've seen come to market anywhere in absolute ages) it can be useful in locating items.

But, as others have said, ALWAYS check your due diligence.

"Measure twice, cut once." -My Pops and everyone else who ever cringed at people doing things half-cocked. ;)

20. OmegaRody Aug 13, 2020

Haven't buy yet on C24 but had been long time trying to sell 2 watches.