Forums Latest Members
  1. Rookie1986 Jan 18, 2021

Hey,

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

To mark a milestone in my career I’m looking to purchase my first Omega watch, I’ve always been interested in space so the moon watch seemed like the perfect fit. Unfortunately I was cursed with slim wrists (17cm // 6.7”) so I’m starting to think that the previous generation Pro with its large lug-to-lug would be a no go.
    This means I’ve been considering either the Reduced or the Women’s 38mm version, that was until the most recent 2021 Pro launched at the start of the year, with the altered bracelet it would now possibly just be small enough for my wrist to accommodate it. The only issue with the new 2021 Pro is that there are none on the second hand market (and unlikely to be for some time) so I would have to go into debt to purchase the watch as I simply can’t afford it outright.

If you were in my position looking at the three options I have what would you recommend? Do I go for the smaller Reduced (is it a pain to service?), do I consider the women’s 38mm or do I look to get myself the 2021 Pro and bite the bullet so to speak?

Beyond that, are there any other options I’m not aware of, any pitfalls or known issues with any of the watches I’m currently considering, or any additional advice people would like to offer?

Finally, do prices for used currently seem high or is that just a UK thing with Brexit etc etc?

Thanks a lot,

vlaspri likes this.
  2. maskwp Jan 18, 2021

Hi, don't focus on numbers... These are for spec sheets. I would recommend you to try the watches you have in scope and see how they look and feel on your wrist! I have small wrists too but OMEGA designs tend to look good (at least I like it ; ) so I would say don't worry too much about cm and mm and see how they look - that is really the only thing that counts. That said, I would have a closer look at the (recently discontinued "FIRST OMEGA IN SPACE" Speedmaster with its 39mm case). I have this model and it wears nice, has a nice background story and you won't see a return of it anytime soon. Stock is still being sold as long as ADs have it. Not sure about the situation in the UK though... Hope this helps. Good luck with your acquisition!

3. amfalconer Jan 18, 2021

As above, when shops open again, go and try on some of these watches, retail lockdown in the UK means that there are plenty of 1861 moonwatches to be had still, if you can't quite stretch to the 3861.

Likely you might also find some of the leather straps about which reduce impact on the wrist as they don't have the sticky-out end links.

The FOIS is also a good shout, but I expect you'll find less of these about, they seem to have gone a bit mad since discontinued.

Also, not worth going into debt to get a piece imho, it'll feel a lot better when you out that on for the first time knowing you own it outright, otherwise it might lead to resentment every time when you look at it

The reduced isn't so much a pain to service, but best serviced by Omega who will likely replace the entire movement, that and it's not generally as popular.

I have no opinions on the women's 38mm, if it speaks to you, then that's cool.

I wear a speedy pro on a 6.75" wrist and it's not too big at all, mine are quite flat wrists though (see pic)

(It's on a perlon at the moment as I'm trying to lose weigh, and have run out of adjustment before needing to remove links from the bracelet, but you get the idea...)

16109610526117307001513646419459.jpg
    Edited Jan 18, 2021
  4. Yukatan Jan 18, 2021

Went through a similar situation to yours and seriously considered a Speedy Reduced (I have even slimmer 6" wrists).
    Tried that on, as well as a regular speedy... then I tried on the First Omega in Space and loved it, which is what I wear now. Straight lugs reduce a lot of the volume and personally love it.

5. vlaspri Jan 18, 2021

I had the same situation as this thread's author, small wrist and huge (in comparison) dimensions of Speedmaster Professional. Jumped on a 3510.50 Reduced but that piggy bank movement drove me crazy, so I sold it and bought a 39mm 3711.10 from my birth year and this watch still remains one of my favorites. You should take a look at 3511, they are pretty nice and you can stiil find one in mint condition with full set on the net.

6. Dedlock Jan 18, 2021

Omegas watches look fine on slim wrists, go try them on dont let a couple of mms prevent you from enjoying their entire product line.

maskwp likes this.
  7. Snooz Jan 18, 2021

FOIS still in stock on Goldsmith's website at time of writing - it does wear quite large for a 39mm, but it's certainly a great option!

8. munichblue Jan 18, 2021

Don't go into debt, save a little more and then you buy the new Speedy.

9. amcclell Jan 18, 2021

If you find the moonwatch or FOIS too big, the Zenith El Primero is available in 38mm size.

As stated above, try whatever you buy on your wrist, first. Don't rush.

Lbennett likes this.
  10. jankymutt Jan 18, 2021

I have a 6.625" wrist and wear a 42mm speedy. It's pushing the limits on my wrist, but I think I pull it off. Plus, it doesn't matter what other people think! If you like it, go for it!

A1E26F8A-088D-4FE0-A6A5-8A852AB5E364.jpeg 3A657F81-2A3A-46F9-B947-B0BD85A09470.jpeg
    Edited Jan 18, 2021
  11. Rookie1986 Jan 18, 2021

Oh wow, so many replies from everyone thank you.

I would love to be able to try the different variants on to see which looks // feels the best on the wrist but unfortunately I’m based in Europe and currently under a national lockdown due to COVID so I’m unlikely to get to an AD until maybe early summer.

The FOIS looks interesting, I think the size would be great but the watch itself seems to lean more towards the purists wanting that vintage aesthetic and something more accurate to the original so it would probably be a pass for me.

I’ll look to do some further research and see if I can find more photos of people wearing the different models before making up my mind (the Pro would extend beyond my wrist going from its lug-to-lug + bracelet).

Thanks again,

12. Dan S Jan 18, 2021

I think that a regular Speedy Pro will fit you fine, and it's the classic version for a reason.

13. IanF Jan 18, 2021

I have similar sized wrists as the OP and, crucially, only 5cm width which makes the lug-to-lug distance important. I tried the Pro and it was too big for my liking. I could probably have got away with it but the Speedmaster Reduced was available new back then (1991) so I plumped for that - and I preferred an automatic movement.

Never had a problem with it and servicing via Omega has always been easy and trouble free

Rookie1986 likes this.
  14. dcl_88 Jan 18, 2021

My wrist is probably ~15 cm, I wear the 311....005 speedmaster on bracelet with all removable links removed. I’ve been told it looks fine. Try looking at it through a mirror, it’s a more accurate perspective than viewing it straight on.

vlaspri and Dan S like this.