Forums Latest Members

Buying my first Omega watch tomorrow

1. Pearceygy Jul 12, 2018

Hi guys I'm new to the site and at the age of 43 I've decided it's time I owned a quality watch, now after months of watch reviews on you tube etc I've decided an Omega Planet Ocean is the one for me. (admittedly not seen one in the flesh yet)

Anyway I'm going to try some on tomorrow and hopefully walk away with one, but I would just like to know what discount can I realistically expect to get from an authorised dealer? I'm based in the U.K. And the retail price is £4660.

Cheers
    Tony

JS760, Jerseyhammer and Tet like this.
  2. tyrantlizardrex Jul 12, 2018

Hey Tony - not much.

You might get 10% if they have stock they're looking to clear, or are feeling generous.

Once you've found the model you want, it might be worth trying a few places to see if they'd do a deal.

You could also use the prices Iconic Watches (a UK based grey market dealer) as a benchmark, and try to get your AD to match them.

Good luck!

Chris

akshayluc420 likes this.
  3. ras47 Jul 12, 2018

Rolex used to be known for offering discounts. These days, however, those discounts have evaporated. Like tyrantlizardrex said, the only watches that will be discounted are those the dealer is trying hard to move. I would not go into this expecting any discount at all.

You can check out prices at sites like WatchRecon to get an idea of for how much a specific model is selling.

4. ANALOGUE Jul 12, 2018

Hi!
    I Sweden, 20% plus discount is quite common on Omega. Maybe this spring have changed things but not long ago that was still possible...

5. Davidt Jul 12, 2018

Is that right about no real discounts on Omega's?

I haven't inquired about a new omega for a while but last time I looked I was immediately offered 12.5% off a new Moonwatch.

6. Ian_km Jul 12, 2018

I'm in the UK too and managed approx.10% off a Speedy Pro in January this year at an AD, didn't try a boutique. Although another dealer declined any discount on a moonwatch so you may need to shop around.

Edited Jul 12, 2018
  7. tyrantlizardrex Jul 12, 2018

Boutiques in the UK just don't do discounts... unless you're buying multiple high end pieces in one transaction.

There is a lot of margin in precious metals, and genstones... ;)

ADs have wiggle room - typically they have a 15-30% margin on Omega... that doesn't mean they need, or want to give it away though. :thumbsup:

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 12, 2018

Depends on the model... some yes some
    No. Generally Boutiques do not do discounts. Authorized Dealers have much higher odds.

9. texasmade Jul 12, 2018

Any chance you can buy from a grey dealer in the US and just pay the VAT? May be significantly cheaper since a lot of grey dealers are selling the 43.5mm PO on a bracelet for around $4300-$4500. You'll have to wait a little longer to have on your wrist though.

10. Davidt Jul 12, 2018

Ah yes at a boutique you'll definitely struggle but normal ADs (such as Goldsmiths) usually offer a good 10% on most standard models.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  11. jaguar11 Jul 12, 2018

Good luck and if you buy do not forget to post a picture!!

Mossback likes this.
  12. JesterP Jul 12, 2018

If your mind is set on a PO then try sticking to smaller Ad's their is one in preston one in Lancaster. About four in Manchester quite a few scattered around Yorkshire. Not sure about the South. Goldsmiths is a good start for a few quid off I would think. And if your not sure about it then don't buy and wait for the perfect watch. Personally I would look for a well kept second hand from a AD that has already lost the initial 20%. Happy hunting

Mossback likes this.
  13. akshayluc420 Jul 12, 2018

Hi Tony, which model specifically are you going for? I have a feeling you may get a deal on Plant Oceans with the 8500 Master Co-axial movements rather than the newer 8900 Master Chronometer movements. Operationally they're both pretty much the same, the exception being that the newer movements have additional testing parameters when encased, which adds to the price.

14. ac106 Jul 12, 2018

That's interesting but since the OP is guying an Omega Planet Ocean....

dennisthemenace likes this.
  15. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jul 12, 2018

Agree boutiques are not in to discounts but you will often find that they will offer insurance which covers everything from theft to accidental damage.

Tritium likes this.
  16. Pearceygy Jul 13, 2018

Hi there

Great day for me as I managed to bag my first ever luxury watch and I’m over the moon A9E2A0FD-BB91-451E-AD90-867A9EB44450.jpeg

After some toing and froing between the dealers I ended up paying £4050 so it was a good result. Have to say that after looking at pictures and videos of the watch online I was thinking the size 43.5mm would of been way to big for my skinny wrists, and I went today with the intentions of buying the size 39.5mm. Anyway the 43.5mm didn’t look as big in the flesh and surprisingly looked a perfect size even though it still looks a bit big in my picture for some reason.

Thanks for your advice guys much appreciated it’s good to be a member and finally own an Omega

17. vbrad26 Jul 13, 2018

You can only say that here if you bought a Speedy Pro. ;)
    But congrats, you made an excellent choice. Wear it in good health.

18. Mossback Jul 13, 2018

Well done, lovely watch! I'm seriously giving this some thought as well.

19. gdupree Jul 13, 2018

I was just thinking “thank god he didn’t buy a speedy.” Haha. It’s the token witty comment that every new speedy owner uses thinking that they’re witty, not realizing it’s been said by every new speedy owner since 1969. I’m sure that even I said it!

Congrats on the PO, OP. Welcome.

BenBagbag likes this.
  20. omegaswisst Jul 13, 2018

Hi @Pearceygy

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new purchase.

Nothing like seeing a watch in the flesh to help clarify your decision making process.