Forums Latest Members
  1. Hnansen Dec 10, 2015

Hello!

I am new to this forum, as i am about to buy my first vintage Omega watch.
    I have found a watch i really like and absolute everything seems to be in order.

But, i would of course like to be sure that the watch is genuine. The sellers seems really legit though, and we have even met up at the shop wear he frequently visits and gets his watch serviced.

He says that the watch is from 1956, but the only things that worry me, is that there is no "Seamaster" reading on the dial as well as no seahorse on the back.
    Is this normal? He says that Omega made seamaster both with and without the reading on seahorse on the casing, and i am very inclined to believe him, as he seems very nice and legit, but i would like, if you could confirm that fact?

The case number is 2892-2, the cal. nr. 284 and the first four digits of the serial number is 1519.
    I have added some photos as well.

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

3.jpg 2015-12-04 13.08.04.jpg 2015-12-04 13.08.19.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 4.jpg
    Giff2577 likes this.
  2. Hnansen Dec 10, 2015

I am very sorry, i´ve seemed to make two threads. A admin can just delete the other one! :)

3. Lessismore Pro Constellation picker-outter! Dec 10, 2015

Not sure about the crown, but the rest seems fine to me (the movement numbers check the date/movement to 1956), I think it should be noted that this guys are 36mm in diameter

Hnansen likes this.
  4. Hnansen Dec 10, 2015

Thanks for the answer! What do you think is off about the crown?
    Yes, he stated that is was 36mm. It there a problem with that?

5. tdn-dk Dec 10, 2015

Looks correct, the crown is a new Omega replacement crown you will get today, when ordering one for this reference at Omega.

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 10, 2015

If your not used to vintage watches they may feel small when you first wear them but you get used to them quickly. I myself try not to go under 34-35 being a bigger wristed fellow..... So 36 is not that bad but keep in mind some can look deceiving in photos

Edited Dec 10, 2015
  7. Hnansen Dec 10, 2015

I tried it on, and it is indeed small, but i quite like it that way.
    I also looked at a Seamaster 30 which was 35mm but i didn't pursue that, as i thought that would be smaller. Isn't that the case? I think i might have misunderstood what you meant about the size.

How about the missing seamaster logo? That is no problem?
    As you can tell, i am very much new to this, but i guess you have to start somewhere!

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 10, 2015

Not all seamasters have the logo

Google - Omega 284

Don't be scared to let us know how much $ (ball park figure will do) as we don't want you paying crazy money for it

Hnansen likes this.
  9. Hnansen Dec 10, 2015

Alright, thanks for the answer!

I am paying what would equal to around 580$, and it has just been serviced.
    I live in Denmark. where prices on (well everything!) is quite high, so i could imagine that applies to vintage watches as well.
    Seamasters from 1950-1960 seems to go for around 440$-700$ depending on the age and material of course.

10. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Dec 10, 2015

I'm from Denmark too, as a gentleman above is as well. I think that amount is fair, if a service has just been performed. Services in Denmark are way more expensive that in the US for example. I actually believe I have bought a Seamaster 30 from the same seller a couple of years ago, when my interest in watches began. I think it looks like a fair deal. You could definitely find one cheaper if you expanded your search overseas but not that much cheaper and here you won't have to deal with international shipments etc.

Hnansen likes this.
  11. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Dec 10, 2015

I also found my first seamaster, cal. 267, to be very small but I quickly began to appreciate the size. I find my Speedmaster huge, when I wear it. Now I think 35mm is the perfect size. My wrist is around 7.25 inches, just over 18 cm, which I guess is fairly average.

12. ChrisN Dec 10, 2015

It looks a nice watch although there appears to be a little bezel damage around the 7 O'clock marker which you can see in the first and second pictures.

I wonder about the hands as well because the minute hand extends a long way past the minute markers which implies to me that they don't go with that dial. I've not seen this before but the more experienced members for this era might be able to comment.

Cheers, Chris

Hnansen likes this.
  13. tdn-dk Dec 10, 2015

The hands are correct, it is normal on those models that the minute hand extends the markers, relax and enjoy your watch :)
    Best Thomas from Denmark :)

Hnansen and ChrisN like this.
  14. Hnansen Dec 11, 2015

Thank you guys so much for all the responses! It has been really helpful, and I've now decided that i will buy the watch.
    I will definitely be a regular reader/user of this forum from now on! :)