Forums Latest Members

Buying my first luxury watch

1. Dmcquillen92 Sep 28, 2015

Ok so I'm looking to purchase my first luxury watch. I'm new to this so I've been doing lots of searching and research between all different companies. I really like the Omega Seamaster diver 300m 41mm. I went to the Omega boutique and it was priced for $4400 but when I search online it does for about $3000. So I started doing more research and read about this whole grey market. The website I think I'm going to buy from is authenticitywatches.com. I even called them up and they have a warranty, it is a brand new, never worn watch, has serial number and all packing just like buying from Omega. Now my question is why would you not buy from them? It almost doesn't make sense to spend an extra $1400 but like I said I'm new to this and I'm looking for help.

2. Canuck Sep 28, 2015

Before you buy, check to see if the warranty is by Omega, ar by some cold water walk up repair shop in some run down neighbourhood.

3. Dombo63 Sep 28, 2015

In the UK these watches from online sellers usually come with an international Omega factory guarantee valid for however many years is correct for the watch, so two years for a Speedmaster Moonwatch, four for a coaxial. The watches are sourced elsewhere in the EU, and have a valid worldwide Omega Guarantee stamped by the original AD and honoured by Omega.
    My first experience of something similar was when I bought my Tag Heuer 2000 from an AD at Geneva airport. It came with an international warranty card that i used at a local AD in London when the watch was running rampantly fast. Even back then the saving was £300 on a watch whose RRP in UK was closer to £700. I could not see what a boutique or AD can offer that justifies paying full price.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 29, 2015

I would look at it this way - even if it's not a warranty through Omega, assuming this is not a chronograph model, you can service the watch through Omega nearly 3 times over with the money you are saving...

As long as the watch is genuine and not all scratched up, I don't see the problem with going through a reputable grey market seller. I have no opinion on the specific seller you mention, but as a deal it makes sense to me.

Cheers, Al

tpatta likes this.
  5. Audley Yung Sep 30, 2015

I agree, I've gone grey market before in Hong Kong and have had no problems with my omegas for many years. Even when they do need to be fixed, on the rare occasion, that cost added on will still be less than the total retail price at AD.

I heard a 20% can easily be attained at ADs though.