Forums Latest Members

Buying from a member with wired funds

1. Vagante Feb 22, 2018

I would like to buy a watch from one of the members who regularly post items for sale here. He has a great reputation and very good marks from everyone. I do have some hesitation though about wiring money and having absolutely no recourse as I would with a credit card or PayPal. Do members regularly purchase watches by simply wiring money to someone without having the item? I feel kind of naked without any recourse other than reputation.

gemstar likes this.
  2. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Feb 22, 2018

If it's a trusted seller, then you have no worries.

pippy, GuiltyBoomerang, Kmart and 2 others like this.
  3. ICONO Feb 22, 2018

Always buy the Seller…together with their integrity, & reputation

Usually…That is far, far more valuable to the Seller, than what they might be selling

Frauds…( and we have had them in the past ), are exposed very quickly, & arbitrarily dealt with…

If, in any real doubt……Reach out to a Moderator for confirmation

4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 22, 2018

Agree with the other guys. Reputation is more valuable to an established seller than the cost of a single watch .

If in doubt, go through the review subforum where people share shout outs for good transactions. You could even go so far as to pm a prior customer if you wanted to get more specific feedback.

Essentially, collecting watches is a gentlemanly endeavour. Sure there some bad seeds, but overall, the members are trustworthy and honourable - doubly so here. The ones that are not don't last long here.

Edited Feb 23, 2018
  5. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Feb 22, 2018

I regularly send Paypal Friends and Family payments (non recourse) to established OF members. Never had the slightest issue.

GuiltyBoomerang, lando, R3D9 and 5 others like this.
  6. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Feb 22, 2018

I've sent and received funds here on nothing more than a Gentleman's agreement. No issues, no concerns, no complications and not only make great purchases, but make friends for life, friends from all over the world.
    "Buy the Seller" is a phrase used often but never overstated.

Edited Feb 22, 2018
  7. IDXM Feb 22, 2018

I’ve bought two watches from forum members, no problems. What people say above is true, and some times a leap faith is required. If you’re really nervous, ask the seller if he or she would be willing to do PayPal for additional remuneration. Good luck and welcome to the forum. I’ve learned a lot and spent a good chunk of money since been here the last few months.

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 22, 2018

3 watches purchased one wire the other pp ff. No issues for an active member here.

9. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Feb 22, 2018

We call it "cash" here in Missouri! (The Land of the Bondage Governor (allegedly).

10. IDXM Feb 23, 2018

We east coasters like our big words to go with our fancy watches.;)

11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 23, 2018

You could even ask here if the seller is reputable

Sent many a bank transfer and PayPal friends to several members.
    No once or twice I'm talking
    image.jpeg
    A lot of times

12. GordonL Feb 23, 2018

+ 1 on all the above. I wired funds to an established member here with no problems or regrets. Like you, I was a little nervous about it initially but agree with everyone's comments above - I believe that the established folks on this forum are as trustworthy as it gets. That's one (of the many) reasons I like it here.
    If you are still nervous - propose using PayPal and agree to pay the extra 4%.

13. lillatroll Feb 23, 2018

I must have bought ten watches from various members here and I have wired the money in every deal as far as I can remember. Never had any problems but I have read their posts to gain a sense of who they are. Rule number one: buy the seller.

14. kov Trüffelschwein. Feb 23, 2018

I have no issues with sending wire transfers to established members here.

More cautious about receiving payments from new / inactive members. :)

Taddyangle and watchknut like this.
  15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 23, 2018

I could see why you’d be nervous I was at first here and used Pay Pal. However I have since gotten quite comfortable wiring money or F&F here. I’ve even wired money to complete strangers with a member brokering and shipping. If the member is a long time contributor, they understand the importance and value of this collector community. Now let’s flip the view ... you are new here. I’d insist on wire as well to ensure I didn’t get burned.

16. boltman Feb 23, 2018

Good info. Glad to be member of this forum.

17. Screwbacks Feb 23, 2018

depends on the value of the watch too you are going to buy. if any member knew your seller and can attest to his reputation, you may be comfortable with that.

18. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 23, 2018

Good point ... on my very first buy here the member provided me with references here.

19. AnotherDon Feb 23, 2018

I found that the first time you wire money into cyberspace hoping to get a watch in return is really tough. But, it does get easier. I've wired money for a watch several times in the last 25 years. Domestic and international. I've met some great people and stand up guys. It's been said many times, Buy the seller, before you buy his watch.

In all those years, I've only had one bad experience. I was selling a watch and a guy from Indonesia Fedexed a check drawn on a Canadian Bank. Deep down inside, I knew that this wasn't going to work. But my rules is/was I'll ship the watch when the money clears my account. Ever the optimist, I deposited the check and sat back to see what happened. Sure enough about 3 weeks later the check came flying back. It cost me about $50 for processing fee and change in currencies, but I still had the watch, so I moved on. The bad guy had the gall to call me on the phone asking where his watch was on the day that I got the notice from my bank that the check bounced. It was a short, less than pleasant conversation for that guy.

Kmart, GuiltyBoomerang, R3D9 and 5 others like this.
  20. gemstar Feb 23, 2018

I was in the same situation as you recently. I had my first purchase here from a fantastic guy.This was for like 15k and I was quite nervous and probably made him more nervous because I was constantly asking for updates ..Lol... He assured me things are fine and every step till the delivery he was in contact with me ..It's like going on a roller coaster for the first time. It's terrifying at first but after the ride is over you want to go on again..But always do your homework first. Good luck, and I hope you have a great ride.