Forums Latest Members

Buying first Omega Speedmaster (UK)

1. omegaUK123 May 8, 2020

Hi

I only own Rolex and have been wanting to get a speedy for some time. As I have smaller wrists I think the Speedy auto would be a good fit and I have tried this on a few times on Nato and love it. A friend said to me I should be able to get an old Speedy Auto for 1k GBP, but the cheapest I can find online is £1.8k.

Does anyone know the best place to buy one of these, is the below the right model I should be looking at?

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/omega/speedmaster-reduced-35105000--automatic--39mm--1991--id15054697.htm

thanks

2. ZIELSZIEK May 9, 2020

Hello,
    I wouldn't get a Speedmaster Reduced if I were you. The movement in that is an ETA with no date with a Dubois-Dépraz module. That means it's cumbersome to service, IF you can find a watchmaker that will work on it. (Mine doesn't like them at all)
    As for that friend of yours that said you could get one for 1k, I highly doubt that, but I don't know. The cheapest I've seen them go is 1.5k. There's one on my local market still for sale at that price, and it has been like that for 6 months now.
    At 1k expect a bad example that will require a service 100%.
    There are plenty of nice chronographs at this budget but, in my opinion, the Speedmaster Reduced isn't one of them.
    Hope this helps.
    Edit: looked on chrono24 and found one serviced at 2k. If the seller can prove that it might be worth a look, if you're set on getting one.

Edited May 9, 2020
    omegaUK123 likes this.
  3. shaun hk Fairy nuffer May 9, 2020

You might be able to find one of these a little over the £1,000 mark, depending on service history and box and papers etc. Recent service, excellent condition with box and papers will be well over £1k and the weak £ does not help.
    I suggest you set up an alert on watch recon and take your time, one may pop up in the UK/EU

omegaUK123 likes this.
  4. simomega May 9, 2020

I'd been looking for ages and finally found one last month for £1400. Really like it on my skinny wrist.

omegaUK123 likes this.