Forums Latest Members

Buying at auction / Endangered species straps

1. WestCoastTime Sep 6, 2021

https://onlineonly.christies.com/s/...rava-platinum-diamond-set-ref-3796-18/126876?

For Christies, Phillips, & the like, will often see conditions added such as;

Special notice
    Lot incorporates material from endangered species that is not for sale and is shown for display purposes only. The endangered species strap shown with the Lot is for display purposes only and is not for sale. Upon sale, the watch will not be supplied to a buyer outside Hong Kong with any watch strap.

At one time I thought that the hoop to jump through was that the buyer paid for the watch, but then the strap was 'thrown in for free...', with the catch then being that the auction house could ship the watch but the buyer would have to pick up the 'free' strap in person. (although I'm not seeing anything like that fine print here...)

Anyone been through this process in person, & does the auction house really sell a 5-figures / 6-figures watch & then throw out the original strap?

2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 6, 2021

I don't know the answer to that question, but depending on where the buyer lives, I think that it would be foolish to want an exotic strap to remain attached to a valuable watch when shipped.

U.S. Customs has cracked down considerably in recent years, and I advise buyers of my watches to let me ship head only, and the strap separately (by regular mail). Otherwise, there can be considerable Customs delays.