Forums Latest Members

Buying an original longines buckle 16mm

1. knvqn Jul 10, 2016

I have been scouting ebay for a 16mm gold plated longines buckle. However, I am not sure how to identify an original one.

This is one I suspect is not original (even if seller claims it's genuine). Does the middle "pin" have to be gold plated as on the next picture?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jul 10, 2016

I recently bought, from the dealer, a Longines buckle for my wife's watch, it came in sealed Longines packaging and the pin wasn't plated.

they're not that expensive so why would anyone bother to knock them off? I wouldn't be worried

3. knvqn Jul 10, 2016

True, but the price difference between those two are 3-fold. While it only means a difference of approximately $30, I do prefer not to buy a replica, hence my question. And naturally, I would like the to purchase the one at the best price - my pockets are not that deep.

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 10, 2016

Buy in the sealed packaging if your worried.
    Used the pin may have been replaced to a SS one for a thinner strap as the plated ones are thicker.

5. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jul 10, 2016

It is quite outrageous what they charge for small bits like these. I recently bought an inexpensive no name "fashion watch" because I liked the looks (and because I was on holidays when you make long strings of impulse buys) ITs nicely finished and has a decent Japanese quartz movement in it.

The case, strap and buckle are finished as well as the much more expensive quartz Longines my wife wears (one of the the only non vintage watches in the house, therefore my base for current quality of finish)

It begs the question: how much extra work and cost is involved in making an expensive Swiss watch to justify the price? And how much is just paying for the name.

I get the feeling we are paying $50 for a $5 buckle just because it says Longines on it.

And the buckles I bought for my old Omegas cost even more.

knvqn likes this.
  6. ulackfocus Jul 10, 2016

If a logo buckle is on eBay, odds are it's not authentic. Sellers frequently use the word "aftermarket" in place of "replica" which is just a nicer way to say "fake".

BartH, DirtyDozen12, Tony C. and 3 others like this.
  7. knvqn Jul 10, 2016

George Carlin said it best :D

But £40 for a sealed longines gold plated buckle with shipping:confused: I will seek to find one locally from a dealer. Thanks for the responses:thumbsup:

8. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jul 10, 2016

George Carlin.... the great speaker of truths.