Forums Latest Members
  1. johnnylarue Oct 17, 2019

Hi folks,

I'm gonna be checking this watch out locally and was hoping to get your 2 cents on it. Please forgive the very unsatisfying photo but it's the only one I have that shows off the finish correctly.

What I know about it so far:

-service dial (not tritium) and hands
    -no bracelet

I don't yet know if it's been refinished (will have a better idea when I see it in the metal) nor can I comment on the true state of the finish in general.

Asking price is around $1600 USD, not sure about wiggle room...

I haven't really been tracking racing dial MKII selling prices at all. Ironically, service dials for this model seem rarer than pieces with original dials, so I'm having a tough time gauging what market value might be for this puppy. The dial and hands pop beautifully and an argument could be made for a "restored" model like this being more desirable than an original one with a 'T' dial that's lost its lustre.

Thoughts?
    IMG_0586.jpg

Edited Oct 17, 2019
  2. vienna Oct 18, 2019

What about a service history?
    If you want a correct bracelet for the watch add about 350 US for a vintage 1162 or a bit more for a 1159. I have the same watch with a service dial non tritium and I like the appearance a lot. Can’t say anything about the case but most of them are polished and the lapping is gone.

1600 US seems ok for me ( based on European standard) if serviced recently and not too polished.

Kind regards Max

johnnylarue likes this.
  3. simonsays Oct 18, 2019

I would also say the price is good. The case looks in good shape from that picture, but may have been re lapped, so check for the quality of that. Service dials are readily available, so not a premium, and I would expect this watch to originally have been a standard MKII, changed to racing in service.
    These are probably the best value Omegas on the market at the moment, unloved and under valued.

4. amcclell Oct 18, 2019

This is my favorite MkII. From a collectability standpoint, it is not like a moon watch so the service dial would be fine for me as it really pops.

johnnylarue likes this.
  5. johnnylarue Oct 18, 2019

Thanks for the feedback, peeps.

I actually have my heart set on a black dial version to be honest. It seems a bit easier to 'dress up' and I love the deep space white-on-black aesthetic paired with that iconic late 60s case design, a rare marriage of restraint and retro-futurism. But the consensus favourite always seems to be the racing dial so who am I to argue! ;)

I'll have to wait and see what this watch looks like in person. If it's a quality restoration job with nice sharp edges and factory-correct brush work on the top and not too much metal lost to refinishing, it will be hard to walk away at this price. Anything less will warrant some thought.

Simon, you raise an important question: given that there's no distinction in model numbers (that I'm aware of), is there any way to actually know if this watch was born with a black dial other than paying through the teeth for Omega's "ancestry.com for watches" service?

Edited Oct 18, 2019
  6. Gaz6263 Oct 18, 2019

7. Screwbacks Oct 18, 2019

$1,600?

8. johnnylarue Oct 18, 2019

Oh crap! That's awkward. This has been my go-to avatar on a dozen different forums for a decade or so. Maybe I'll gussy it up with a fake moustache or something...

Edit: I managed to switch it up but it's taking a while to take effect.

Edited Oct 18, 2019
  9. johnnylarue Oct 18, 2019

Pre-haggle price, yes.

10. amcclell Oct 18, 2019

If it is in good shape, that is a bargain.

johnnylarue likes this.
  11. Lurk41 Oct 18, 2019

Considering no bracelet and service parts, it is not the bargain of the century but it is still a good price.
    If it was properly serviced, the case properly refinished and still thick, it will be difficult to get it below $1600.

johnnylarue likes this.
  12. johnnylarue Oct 26, 2019

Well, the seller backed out.

He took the watch in for minor servicing and decided he liked it too much to part with it. There goes a whole lot of virtual ink spilled for a whole lot of nothing. ::censored::