Forums Latest Members
  1. Börn Dec 4, 2019

When I make funeral arrangements, I inform the family to bring in clothing that the deceased usually wore. If a man was a farmer and never wore a suit, I strongly advise the family not to bring in a suit; he just won’t look right.

As far as jewelry (watches, gold, diamonds), if a man always wore a watch, bring it in and I’ll put it on.

I always ask the family if they want the jewelry to go with or come off prior to burial. Once the vault lid is closed, that’s it.

2. Walrus Dec 4, 2019

3. Börn Dec 4, 2019

As one last note, I always take off my timepiece before I work in the morgue.

After I was done embalming, I left the room and went to lunch.

When I came back to work, I went to the morgue and could not find my timepiece anywhere.

While I was gone, workers dressed and casketed the man and they put my timepiece on him.

I now put my timepiece on my desk before I work.

Waltesefalcon, noelekal and AAAKK like this.
  4. Canuck Dec 4, 2019

I mentioned this thread to Mrs. C. She reminded me of a watch in my collection that was given to me by my late father-in-law. His step-mother had been married three times. When her third husband died, there was an open casket funeral. The deceased was dressed in his best three piece suit, and he was wearing ALL of his jewellery, including his Masonic Lodge regalia, and the watch shown in the picture. It is a 5/0 size, 15 jewel Elgin in an “Opera” case of 14-karat white gold. After the funeral but before the burial, the funeral director removed the watch from the vest pocket. After interment, the funeral director gave the watch back to the spouse. She was P_ _ _ _ _ D, (that does not translate as “pleased”) about it.

An opera watch is a wrist watch movement placed in a pocket watch sized case, for wear by someone who disliked the bulk of a regular pocket watch.

(Edited to change internment to interment. A totally different meaning.)

4300D76A-B78E-44B6-BAA4-43F31BCF501E.jpeg

Edited Dec 4, 2019
  5. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Dec 4, 2019

I have left instructions to be cremated, my ashes made into lume, and painted onto the dials of my Speedmasters and Seamasters. That way my son, and any heirs he eventually has, can keep a part of me with them all the time :D

mappleluna, Larry S and NGO1 like this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 4, 2019

In the ground.

efauser and RI Omega Fan like this.
  7. NGO1 Dec 4, 2019

Keep the watch. Let him continued to be a part of your life.
    My Dad gave away his prized Omega to his brother, whom misplaced it.
    I’d rob a bank to get that watch back!
    Sorry for your loss.

8. JwRosenthal Dec 4, 2019

This is why I love this forum- a topic I would have never thought about.

Stosh, Börn and noelekal like this.
  9. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Dec 4, 2019

Hopefully the watches buried were Rolex "Perpetual" pieces...

efauser, Börn and murph like this.
  10. Stosh Dec 4, 2019

One more story about another sentimental watch.

A good friend of mine had an Omega Seamaster Deville 560 for years. After my obsession started, when he would occasionally wear it I used to kiddingly? try to get him to sell it to me. For daily wear he wore, no kidding, a "Mickey Mouse" watch. He passed a few years back.

About a year later, his wife contacted me and said his son wanted the Mickey Mouse watch, but showed no interest in the Omega. Guess who's wearing it now.;)

560 550-560 019.jpg 550-560 030.jpg

noelekal, blufinz52 and wagudc like this.
  11. Stosh Dec 4, 2019

I know, I know. The second pic of Dads watch shows it was redialed. The script was barely readable on the factory finish after 30 years, so in it went for a redial. To me, it really doesn't look too bad.

noelekal likes this.
  12. PaulHelmuth Dec 4, 2019

Stosh,

I am sorry for your loss. My father passed this year in February.

My father was not a "watch guy". But he was brilliant with all things mechanical (and electrical) - and I think that's how I came to appreciate mechanical watch movements.

Anyway - I agree with some of the other members that have said he would want you to have the watch. I believe that 100%

It would be different if it were a watch that he wore every day for the last number of years, but he gifted the Seamaster to you and most certainly wouldn't want you to give it back.

Enjoy the watch in good health and cherish the memories of your father.

-Paul

noelekal likes this.
  13. Stosh Dec 4, 2019

Paul,
    Thanks for the kind words, and sorry for the loss of your father.