Forums Latest Members
  1. 1685 Feb 27, 2016

My folks were in town today, pops likes checking out my watches when he's here, I enjoy sharing the history with him, and today he brought his dad's watch with him to share with me. Offered it to me today, but I asked him to keep wearing it and we'll figure it out later. I'm not battery fan, but interesting turning fork technology. Anyway some pics for ya'll.

1961 Accutron
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg

West Slope, novina, ahartfie and 2 others like this.
  2. justbrian55 Mar 2, 2016

Damn that Speidel company. Did everyones father chuck the original band for a twisty?

Interesting chunky gold indexes but the black dots kinda makes it look like a mouse got inside. (sorry Mr. 1685)
    I've been bugging my bro who inherited both my fathers Bulovas, to sell to me. So you got me looking over a bunch of vintage B's to see if anything spikes my neurons of recognition.

I poured over a hundred or so Goog images & ebay and didn't see any like the dial on your grandfathers with the blue ring about the dial. A watch guy I'm not close to being, but ask your father if the dial was redone?
    Saying if so, or you don't like the dial, there were a fair amount of nice looking dials (214 Accutron?/size?) on ebay, all being less than 20.00 ~ Maybe have a jeweler get a good eyeball on those hands to see if they can be cleaned up to keep more as granddads watch + new dial without killing the deal? Some like the aged of the years battles on hands but I don't.
    ~ Gold is gold and it is your grandfathers watch. Ha, I wanna have some of my grandfathers eyeglasses redone a bit and have my prescription put in.

I didn't see any Bulovas much over 200.00 on ebay.
    Heck, it says waterproof. At least you can take it fishing ay? :)

1685 likes this.
  3. justbrian55 Mar 2, 2016

...umm, I didn't see any case shapes as that either. So it's unique.

4. justbrian55 Mar 2, 2016

ok found a couple: asymmetric case I think it's called.

5. justbrian55 Mar 2, 2016

6. Canuck Mar 2, 2016

Since we are offering opinions on the dial of your Accutron, I'll offer mine. Not calling anyone with a different opinion wrong, y'understand! Personally, I like the dial the way it is! If (and I repeat, IF) it's a re-do, I feel it is well done. Because it is a dial that is perhaps not seen regularly doesn't necessarily mean it has been messed with. I think it was just a low production dial. The case shows up in a number of my collector guides. Nice watch, but if it's yours, suggest you ditch the bracelet! Metal bracelets on karat gold cases destroy the lugs!

1685 likes this.
  7. 1685 Mar 2, 2016

Hey gents, thanks for the feedback, observations, and input. It has been a fun research and education for me. I've used this gentlemens site to date it, but was unable to find this model in his galleries so thanks for providing the pic @justbrian55.

http://m.watchophilia.com/

I doubt my dad would know if redialed or not. With that said my grandfather did own a jewelry store in Ohio back in the day and did service watches, he himself was not a watchmaker. So he would've had access if he wanted to do but from what I know of him doesn't seem like the type of fella to do so.

My dad and I plan to keep it as is with all the history on the dial, hands, and case. I will let him know to swap out the bracelet to help preserve the lugs as he'll continue to wear it. Thank you @Canuck. When it comes to me it will go straight to the watch box to save for the 4th generation.

Cheers
    Mark

justbrian55 likes this.