Forums Latest Members

Bulang & sons watch tool advice

1. speedO Jul 14, 2015

Hi there,
    This is my first post on this forum, so here I am : living in Paris - France, owning a SP145.012-67 since last year which is at the moment being serviced in the UK.

Recently I purchased a spring bar tool from Bulang & Sons. Fast expedition, good looking item but... I don't know how to find the tips in it... Maybe I'm being inattentive but really I can't find how to use it.

This is what I got... Any help will be much appreciated :)
    DSC_0086.JPG
    DSC_0087.JPG
    DSC_0091.jpg

Edited Jul 14, 2015
  2. persco Jul 14, 2015

I think they unscrew from the main compartment. Then flip it around and screw it back in. The main compartment then becomes the handle for the forked or pointed end. At least that is how other versions of this tool work. When you want to put it away for travel or storage, you simply unscrew it, flip it around again and screw in back inside the main compartment.

3. speedO Jul 14, 2015

Thank you Persco. I've also asked the question to Bernhard (from Bulang & Sons) and he answered me : Unscrew the tube, hit it on your palm and the tools should come right out.

That was I thought when I got it, so I tried already but this is not really working at the moment.

I will keep this thread updated once I get the answer.

persco likes this.
  4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 14, 2015

The flat bit once unscrewed needs Prying out the first few times. Use a toothpick.

The tube is hollow once ends are out

5. speedO Jul 14, 2015

I've sent a video of it to Bernhard and it seems there might be a problem with this particular item. He'll send me a new one soon. He's been very fast and helpfull in his messages.

Seems like I can't unscrew the flat bits as you suggested Standy, and the tools don't drop as expected. Maybe there were screwed in too tightly in factory.

Edited Jul 14, 2015
    persco likes this.
  6. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Jul 14, 2015

The bits aren't screwed in. Just unscrew one of the end pieces 3/4 off so that they are still attached to the tube then hit that side against your palm. That should jar the bit loose enough for you to pull it out with your finger tips. not the best design

7. NT931 Jul 14, 2015

Maybe it's me, but I'd rather use a Bergeon springbar tool. The B&S one looks a tad fiddly to use, but darn it looks cool, almost like a mini lightsaber hilt...

[​IMG]

DaveK, persco and Fer Seamaster like this.
  8. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jul 14, 2015

The push on half on the B&S is extremely delicate. Mine broke on day 2

9. speedO Jul 14, 2015

Well thanks to Jordn's advise I manage to get on of the tips out... The second one is still very reluctant.

+1 with NT931 > The design got me, I just find them very beautiful. And the fact you can put the tips back inside for travel is cool also.
    Sergio > Ouch ! I hope it won't happen to me... I switch my strap every week !

Edited Jul 14, 2015
  10. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jul 14, 2015

Yeah just be caracul when you apply pressure on the straight pin tool.

11. speedO Jul 14, 2015

Noted. Last year I broke 2 bergeon straight pin tool. But now I'm using the fork end with the speedy anyway.

12. speedO Jul 14, 2015

Got it working !

With a well known oil (I put tons and tons of it) and then by banging it on my palm (it's all red and huts a bit now) with more oil, and more banging, ...
    The problem was the inner hole inside the tube which was not perfectly round and a little too thin. When you put the tool back inside, it had to be forced in and then it can't come out easily. So I used a metal pointer and made a slightly bigger hole inside.

Only downside : when spraying the whole thing with WD-40, I lost a rubber ring ! I haven't been abble to find it since.

DSC_0094.JPG DSC_0095.JPG