Forums Latest Members

Building a collection with new or old Speedmaster models

1. weimi1 Oct 24, 2019

Good morning, after I've been working on the subject of Speedmaster for a few years, I wonder if at the moment it's even worth investing in older models. Prices have risen sharply in the last year. Would you if you wanted to build a collection now rather build on the new models or take the older models in the collection, even if their prices are sometimes extremely high at the moment.
    Example:
    Speedmaster 3692.30 last year in the fullset for around 14,000 euros. At the moment, already around 22,000 euros are called.

If you knew that the prices would continue to develop, it would not be a question. But at any price I would not want to strike.

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 24, 2019

My collection

1st bought in 2013 (I am making my own vintage and wearing it like it’s stolen)
    5A18AE72-7F0F-47A4-A320-B50BC971415D.jpeg

2nd
    936D7B71-E735-4706-9940-732C6155DF6B.jpeg
    3rd
    50932F5A-B2C4-45A8-9754-495196DABCDE.jpeg

Will I keep going, maybe a ST 3 ? Don’t know would have to see it.

Wasn’t interested in the 50th, wasn’t interested in Snoopy

I live remote, tropical with humidity so not interested in vintage Speedmasters, could have bought before the rush but decided a modern fitted where I live and what I do for work. ( if I was a city slicker with a suit job I may have bought vintage )

3 bits of advice
    Buy what you like.
    Wear them.
    You don’t loose money if you don’t sell them.

3. VjaceCZ Oct 24, 2019

First of all you should decide whether you collect or invest or do both.

If you collect, don't look at the prices and collect what you like, what you love, what makes sense to you.

If you invest, don't look at the design, don't care what you like but you will fall asleep and wake up with the chrono24 ads, checking auctions all the time and making sharp graphs showing how good your portfolio raise, flipping newly released models, etc.

Making both is difficult - buying what you like, checking prices and spending hours and hours deciding if you should sell it now or later, regretting you should sell it last year or you shouldn't sell it because the price is still growing...

All options are relevant. But clarifying what is your interest is important to have clear strategy while buying new pieces.

Anyway good luck!

Delbok and weimi1 like this.
  4. Claven2 Oct 24, 2019

I agree. Buy what you want to wear.

You can't predict what will go up or down with certainty, but if you really like it for the price you have to pay, chances are others will too.

My watches are not my 401K.

5. Davidt Oct 24, 2019

The best balance between value and vintage in the Speedmaster market are those produced from the late 60's to late 70's. I.e. 145.022-69 to 145.022-78.

The key thing is to seek out examples in top condition of those with particularly attractive aging/patina.

They're not quite in the same league but I also think the 80's CRS cased Speedmasters offer great value and often have lume that's aged to a wonderful shade.

If I was starting out with on eye on value, these two periods are the ones I'd go for.

weimi1 likes this.
  6. Davidt Oct 24, 2019

As an aside, of you want to see a capital return, I wouldn't be looking at Speedmasters or any collectibles at the minute.

Taddyangle and warrydog like this.
  7. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Oct 24, 2019

The hunt & chase is definitively part of the fun... modern Speedies can be easily found and at pricing going up, reaching 5 numbers, one can get a vintage 1960s Speedmaster instead :thumbsup:

MCC and weimi1 like this.
  8. Davidt Oct 24, 2019

The chase is certainly a huge part of the fun.

I need to be strict with myself as I often prefer the anticipation and excitement of a new find arriving over actually owning and wearing the watch.

Frequently Ive done loads of research, had saved searches set up for a long period, chased down a watch and been like a kid on Christmas morning when the postman arrives, followed by the the excitement of opening, inspecting, cleaning and strapping on a new find, only to then leave it in a box for the next six months.

Taybharr, Delbok, Caliber561 and 3 others like this.
  9. VjaceCZ Oct 24, 2019

Haha, I just see myself in your post ::facepalm2:: :D

10. weimi1 Oct 24, 2019

:) Hunting can make happy:

Last Year two Apollo11 25th
    IMG_2399.JPG

IMG_2420.JPG

jmazpiazu, whyboddau and SpeedyPhill like this.
  11. machamp6650 Oct 24, 2019

Hahaha I've been there mate :thumbsup:

12. Om3ga321 Oct 24, 2019

I have both modern and vintage.I cannot help myself but I only buy what I like.The future value never comes into the equation.

13. jaguar11 Oct 25, 2019

To generally reflect other posts buy what you like. Potential value should be of no matter.

14. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 25, 2019

It is essential to only buy what makes your heart sing when you look at, or hold it. NEVER buy because you think the guys in the pub will like it, and definitely never buy it if its because you think it is cheap. Better to buy too expensive, but you really really like it.

If you really like it, chances are someone else will when it comes to sell.

As for modern investment speedmasters - those worth less than MSRP after two/five years far outnumber those worth more.

joe band and Delbok like this.
  15. Romega Oct 25, 2019

My advice, collect the best vintage Speedies you can afford. Use the modern "standard" version :)