Forums Latest Members

Building a better bid sniper (Gixen has been sucking)... Input requested!

1. kidkimura Oct 9, 2017

Hey guys

As much as I like Gixen, I have found it kind of unwieldy recently. With the new required login, and lack of any improvements, I've decided its time to move on.

As a software engineer, after no research at all, I will obviously be rolling my own, but was hoping for a little input on what key features you (the watch community) would be interested in.

JimJupiter, Davidt and semper_shells like this.
  2. kov Trüffelschwein. Oct 9, 2017

*Now following this thread* :D

I haven't been coding since ages but might be interested to brainstorm. ;)

3. semper_shells Oct 9, 2017

I don't even know what this is but I'm interested. :unsure::thumbsup:

4. adi4 Oct 9, 2017

What baseline are you building off of for improvements? By unwieldy, do you mean the latency is too high for you? You'll have to think a bit about infrastructure more than design if that's what you find unsatisfactory about Gixen. I personally find Gixen serviceable for my own very occasional use.

I believe the login change was most definitely needed by them, not a good idea to be storing a bunch of eBay credentials on the Gixen servers waiting to be stolen.

kov and micampe like this.
  5. kidkimura Oct 9, 2017

I actually dont mind the latency so much as a poor UI/UX and a lack of a clear security policy within the platform (including lack of session timeout and protection against cookie hijacking). As far as latency, I'm sure that can be improved as well. Have done some high frequency work in the past, but dont suspect thats a huge issue. Also recently bothered by lack of conversion of currencies, lack of mobile, lack of proactive notification framework, lack of browser plugins for adding new items etc.

Edited Oct 9, 2017
  6. jakeh417 Oct 11, 2017

Interested in this thread as I use Gixen a lot. Curious if you brought this up with the guy that runs Gixen, he seems to be responsive on the forums.

I remember a bunch of post on his forum about changes and updates, and he caution that with more additions and polishing the more complex it becomes. Which would mean more cost and maintenance.

7. Justme Oct 11, 2017

As a victim of sniping apps of others...I'll be following this thread...

8. trackpad Oct 12, 2017

I use auctionsniper ...which is not going to win any awards for UI either, but it’s worked and might shed some light on useful feature sets in this genere. I think they offer a trial.