Forums Latest Members
  1. pcbguy Oct 7, 2019

Hello all!

I'm new to this and I'm guessing my question is going to sound that way.

Looking for advice on building a Speedmaster. There are so many parts available and just curious for advice on how to make sure I get original parts.

Or am I just crazy and should give it up?

Thanks!

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 7, 2019

Just buy a correct one.

3. Dan S Oct 7, 2019

Unless you just happen to have most of the parts sitting around already, it will probably be more expensive to build one with correct parts than buying a real one, and less valuable in the end.

However, if you want to price it out, go ahead. Maybe I'm wrong. There are a lot of parts available in the "watch parts and accessories" sales forum right here on OF. Probably safer than eBay in general, although there are lots of good parts on eBay. You will have to become an expert to know real from fake. Or find a seller to trust.

chronos likes this.
  4. pcbguy Oct 7, 2019

Thanks for the advice. I assume on ebay that a bezel from a 145.012 that says "new" is probably not legit but some things are hard to tell.

Looks like I'll just be buying one.

5. Shabbaz Oct 7, 2019

Maybe that's a better idea...;)

6. Dan S Oct 7, 2019

New authentic service bezels are readily available. You just need to study up.

pcbguy likes this.
  7. steversaurus Oct 7, 2019

Unless you really enjoy the thrill of the hunt, just buy a correct one and save yourself the future headache (and/or money).

8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 7, 2019

Original to what?

A 1962 2998? You could hunt for "original" parts and build it up

A 145.012? Well again you used to be able to build one out of watchco spares but it was always a parts built watch with no value beyond the sum of the parts.

But the end question, is why would you do it?

Now if you want to have fun and make a different or customised watch that a different story. Just look at my avatar.

pcbguy and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  9. wsfarrell Oct 7, 2019

Some people (like me) just enjoy tinkering with things, building stuff, restoring stuff, etc. Not for investment or later sale, just to pass the time, learn some skills, and maybe end up with something useful.

pcbguy likes this.
  10. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Oct 7, 2019

Build a Speedmaster?.... Easy peezy mate!:thumbsup:

Get all the bits ready on your kitchen table, screw drivers etc, a decent light and a loupe..... throw the cat out the door :eek:...... get someone to hold the phone to your ear and call Al..... @Archer

I'm sure he'll talk you through it step by step on the phone.::shy::

(Oh and try not to sneeze!):thumbsup:

Edited Oct 7, 2019
    pcbguy likes this.
  11. pcbguy Oct 7, 2019

All great info.

To answer the question of why, I guess just to see if I can. But there are probably cheaper ways to prove it. Especially for my first time.