Forums Latest Members
  1. jkb89 Apr 13, 2020

Hi all,
    First post here, looking to consolidate my collection and buy an Omega Seamaster. It will be a daily wearer, so not really fussed about light scratches etc, as I don't want to be precious about it

My query is, and apologies if this has been asked many times, what sort of budget would get a decent (but not perfect) Seamaster? I'm UK based if that makes any difference.

I really like the 2254.50, but would settle for any earlier Seamaster 300 M (I think that's the correct term!), sword or skeleton hands, auto or quartz.

Many thanks,
    Joe.

2. lindo Apr 13, 2020

For such a broad question I suggest there is only one answer - you need to research eBay. To narrow it down to useful results, note those sellers who offer a lot of Omegas and after going through their range, select 'advanced' search and then 'sold', which will give you prices actually achieved. The only vendors to bother with will provide lots of clear images, including the movements.

You could start by looking at some of the Japanese vendors. Japan has long had a passion for good watches and there are lots available. Some may be offered more polished for resale than many of us like, but there are plenty of good examples that would more than satisfy you. It is also wise to select from those which have the original cards, box, etc.

Off the top of my head, you could try closer0924, a vendor I have bought nice pieces from over a couple of years. In normal times the EMS international postage from Japan is fast and safe and a lot of the Japanese sellers offer it free.

In the current COVID-19 climate you might find it easier to buy in the UK, but at least if you look at the international offerings you will arrive at an informed point before you buy.

3. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 13, 2020

I suggest you get a Geneve instead of a Seamaster.

Here is one of mine I have not been able to sell, for example.

Tom

IMG_0006.jpeg
    Spruce and scapa like this.
  4. Dan S Apr 13, 2020

He seems to be talking about a modern Seamaster Pro.

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 13, 2020

Ain't nonna those on a budget.

Tom

6. wagudc Apr 13, 2020

I think the question is not worded well and is causing confusion. I think that Joe is asking what should he budget for a a decent Seamaster, i.e., how much would one cost. Whereas I and others read the question as what is a 'budget' (as in inexpensive) Seamaster.

7. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 13, 2020

Ah, 2254.50, one of which I have, $2500 depending on condition.

Tom

Dan S likes this.
  8. jkb89 Apr 14, 2020

Sorry folks, yes perhaps my thread title was a bit misleading. I was asking what I'd expect to pay for the cheaper end of the new SM divers. A 2254.50 is my ideal, and perhaps it is worth saving up for it.

Thank you @lindo in particular, I will take a look on eBay. I presume there will be VAT to add for importing (even used?) watches from Japan to the UK?

9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 14, 2020

Worth looking at Hong Kong for this model also.

https://www.chrono24.com.au/omega/seamaster-diver-300-m-black-dial--id14739620.htm

10. lindo Apr 14, 2020

Good question. I cannot speak for how the system in the UK handles VAT on all incoming parcels, but you may find that items coming in through the post (as EMS items from Japan would) may slip straight through.

Where I live, anything sent via Fedex, DHL or other carriers (eg those used in eBay's Global Shipping arrangement) will get definitely picked up for VAT equivalent and duty. However items sent by post have hit my mail box untroubled. That may change of course.

So before you press the button on a purchase it is wise to have a close look at the vendor's shipping arrangements, and find out if they will send by post (some will not), The Japanese dealers tend to use EMS anyway, but it is still wise to confirm that with them for any individual transaction.

jkb89 likes this.
  11. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 14, 2020

If you are UK based I wouldn't bother with a Japanese import at present, the VAT and shipping cost will make it much less viable than it used to be, and you wont be able to dodge the VAT. The GBP is currently very weak making imports comparatively expensive.

Expect to pay circa £1,700-2,000 for a clean 2254 in the UK market at present, those fetch the most other than the GMTs and chronos. The 2531 and 2255 fetch a little less, you might be lucky and pick up one of those for more like £1,550-1,800. The weakness of the GBP makes our prices a little out of kilter with the ROW at present. These prices will look cheap to yanks, but are realistic. Bank on picking up a quartz model for maybe £300-400 less than those figures, likewise the mid size models are available for circa £300-400 less than the full size, a mid size quartz will have a combination of the discounts, so a can still be found for less than a grand though they are climbing fast.

Edited Apr 14, 2020
  12. jkb89 Apr 14, 2020

Thank you both, very informative.

I'll have a look on Chrono24 and Chronext, rather than eBay at the moment (following padders' advice) is there anywhere else I should be looking, other than forum sales?

13. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 14, 2020

I find C24 a waste of time, the prices on their are mostly pipe dream dealer prices and often 25% over the watches true private sale value. ebay is of course worth a look but take a look at our sales section at the private listings. Also if you are a member of any other forums, those can be good places to spot a sensibly priced model. TZ-UK is a more GB focused group than here and you would pick one up in my price range pretty quickly, unfortunately you have to be an established member with >250 posts there to even see listings so may be not work for you. This post will act as a WTB for you in fact. US based sellers will be asking more than my figures so aren't ideal, but a UK seller they might be able to help.

Tet likes this.
  14. jkb89 Apr 14, 2020

Thanks @padders , I've been a member of TZ-UK for years, on and off and have access to view the SC. Just wondered if there were any other avenues I should be exploring. Thank you for your help.

15. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Apr 14, 2020

I think between here, TZ and eBay you have your best bases covered.

Likely be some good prices around at the moment or near future as alot of people will be struggling a bit. I expect the best opportunity might be as we get back to normality. I sold a few of my collection due to the above but put a stopper on it for now as don't want to be making trips to the post office, doubt I'm alone.

Also look out for the next eBay fvf99p listing fee as alot will be waiting for that.

jkb89 likes this.
  16. ConElPueblo Apr 14, 2020

I've had great successes with C24, often bargaining pretty decent discounts as well.

My recent experience with looking at SMPs tells me that a lot of people are selling theirs at the moment and I wouldn't be surprised to see a reduction in prices overall. At one point a Danish sales group had 4-5 2254s for sale at the same time, none of which had ridiculous prices.

FWIW, there was a Great White on C24 from Hong Kong a few weeks ago at £1,400 w/o box or papers, but in good condition. I hadn't got the funds at that time and is still kicking myself over it...

padders likes this.
  17. jkb89 Apr 14, 2020

Thanks, I'm a bit dubious about buying from eBay without knowing much about what to look out for - not just in terms of fakes, but condition/over polishing/etc.

18. ConElPueblo Apr 14, 2020

Find yourself a stellar specimen here and use that for reference. Note how the brushing on the case and bracelet is and especially how the bezel steel looks like - this is the first place to look for wear on a SMP, as the scalloped edge quickly becomes "soft" when polished or heavily worn. Be also aware of bracelet slack and of aftermarket bezel inserts.

All these are pretty easy to detect once you have a good specimen to compare with :)

High Hope, jkb89 and dan7800 like this.
  19. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Apr 14, 2020

Narrow yourself to 2-3 prospects and then ask peoples opinion here, loads of members that will likely spot pretty quickly anything that isn't correct.

Oh and welcome to the forum by the way. Good luck with the search.

jkb89 likes this.
  20. jkb89 Apr 14, 2020

Thank you everyone, very helpful. Appreciated.