Forums Latest Members

Bucherer two register red dialed chronograph

1. Kebrere Jun 2, 2016

Hi all, I am looking for any information on this Bucherer. I did some research and found nothing that looked like this watch except for this picture on a dated Chuck Maddox Web Site that tells a very interesting story.
    http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/2005/09/mcqueen-monaco-how-about-siegfried.html
    which has left me wondering even more about this watch. The watch has a Omega band on it. The numbers on the back of the case of the one I have are the same as the ones on the case back on Chuck Maddox web site, that watch has a green face ,the one I have has the red face like the one the actor is wearing . Anyone have any info at all that might help me figure out what I have. Thank you in advance.

Attachment-1_6.jpeg Attachment-1.jpeg photo 2_kindlephoto-119844974.jpg Attachment-1_1.jpeg
  2. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jun 2, 2016

Looks like a Landeron 248 movement. Bucherer is a Zurich based jeweler that has watches badged for them as a house brand.

That's all I got...

3. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jun 2, 2016

4. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jun 2, 2016

I just read the CM blog. Yes someone there also notes the Landeron 248.

5. Finrod Felagund Jun 2, 2016

Bucherer is based in Luzern :whistling:

6. Kebrere Jun 2, 2016

Hi. Thank you for reply. I went to the web page you posted and it is all Greek to me. Is the information about the movement on the web page the same information that would apply to my watch.

7. Kebrere Jun 2, 2016

Do you think this watch is desirable or a rarity?

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 2, 2016

Rare yes. Valueable... I could see some cool ways to present it at an auction to bring more money. Just not really a watch on anyone's radar.

9. Kebrere Jun 2, 2016

Thank you for your response. Can I ask you what do you think the watch could get at auction

10. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jun 2, 2016

Picky, picky...

Finrod Felagund likes this.
  11. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jun 2, 2016

It's hard to say really.

I've got a Bucherer day/date auto I bought fairly inexpensively, had it serviced and wear it as a work watch. I work with my hands in tight spaces and can bang up a watch if I'm not careful so I don't like to wear "expensive" watches but I like to wear "interesting" watches on a daily basis. I might bid on that watch 'as is' up to $400US and maybe more if it were being sold by a reliable dealer as having been recently fully serviced. You I take it are not a dealer. So if I were inclined $400 would be absolutely at my top but some fool might pay more. Gawd nose, there's plenty of them out there.

Sport chronographs are fairly popular right now so your timing is good.

Why don't you get it serviced by a decent watchmaker and keep the piece. You probably got for $100 or so. It will be a nice timepiece for you...

Foo2rama likes this.
  12. ulackfocus Jun 2, 2016

buyfordollar.jpg

13. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jun 2, 2016

And you might think about parting out the bracelet. Take a picture of the clasp where the numbers are and the numbers on the end piece. The bracelet might be worth $100 or so. Then put a $20 leather on the watch for the sale pictures...

14. adrienbelanger Jun 2, 2016

I think this was a standard configuration used by several obscure brands in the 1970s -- with slight variations in dial colour and handsets. All of the ones I have seen have a Landeron 248 movement inside.

Here is a BWC version I sold a few weeks ago. It came with its original price tag of "236" (currency unknown -- perhaps CHF?) and was originally on an 18mm tropic strap (not the sand nato pictured):

IMG_7544.jpg

IMG_7596.jpg

The BWC model also came in versions with the fat white subdial hands like the Bucherer version above, and another version with the same hands and Paul Newman-esque exotic subdial markers. All of the BWC versions I have seen have the same claret dial.

Other versions that I know of were badged "Croton", which I think was a name used by Nivada-Grenchen in the United States but I could be wrong. The Croton versions come in claret and green variations, and also bear the (rather wonderful) name "Chronomaster Aviator Sea Diver" -- I would love to know who came up with that mouthful!

Here is an example of the green dial variant available right now on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-C...381697?hash=item4d44c71d81:g:mCkAAOSw6btXSG~iPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

And here is an example of a previously sold claret dial variant:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/331723180187Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I also found a period advertisement for a Croton variant with exotic subdials. It cost $120 and according to the ad, it could serve almost any purpose:

s-l1600.jpg

TNTwatch likes this.
  15. adrienbelanger Jun 2, 2016

Conclusion? You should keep the watch -- after all, it's "the greatest technical chronograph-wrist computer of our time" :thumbsup:

16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 2, 2016

Super hard to say, if you can prove that it was a Bucherer in Le Mans, and not one of a few identical watches with private labels as noted in this thread... In a Steve McQueen themed auction, and the right few buyers in the room you could realize 10k or more. But under normal circumstances on ebay 200-900 USD I would think depending on your ebay history, and how good you are at marketing it.

adrienbelanger likes this.
  17. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jun 2, 2016

Not a "rare" watch, though perhaps a bit uncommon in terms of the dial color. No way that it would bring more than a $1k, and more likely $500-700.

18. Vitezi Jun 2, 2016

Edited Jun 4, 2016