Forums Latest Members

Brown dial, Tropical dial... and other questions???

1. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Dec 14, 2016

Good afternoon everybody. (UK time)

First can I again express my thanks to everyone who responded to my initial post regarding my Dad's old Omega Speedmaster.

Over the last few days I have read, with interest, some of the posts on this site regarding detail and changes to Omega Speedmaster watches. I googled 'Omega tropical dial' and went to www.ablogtowatch.com. I'm finding the attraction a bit of a puzzle as it would seem that it was originally an undesirable change from the intended black colour from new.

The pictures I posted initially were taken under a desk lamp so I've uploaded a few more photographs taken outside in daylight. Think the true colour of the watch is more evident by natural light.

Some additional details I've had bouncing around inside my brain;
    One or two people commented that the hands are not original. I noticed that the minute hand on my watch seemed a bit shorter than everyone else's (there's a joke in there somewhere chaps???). It doesn't seem to extend across the minute markers. Is there a reason for this?
    Did Omega use shorter hands on service parts for some reason?

My wonky bezel is a mystery to me. If they don't rotate how the hell did the old man get it to twist around there? (probably happened when my Mum was dragging him out of the pub on a Sunday). Will the boys at Swiss time correct it during the service?
    What do the digits on the bezel actually indicate.
    Why is it good that I have a dot over my 90?
    Why would a top quality watch maker, such as Omega, install the bezel so that some of the numbers are partially obscured by the rim? It seems to lack precision???
    Is the presence of an applied decal indicative of the age?
    Does the same apply to the double stepped case back and stepped dial?
    what do the pushers activate?
    So many questions when your new to this game!
    Cheers for your help!

20161214_153100-1.jpg 20161214_153042-1.jpg 20161214_153328-1.jpg 20161214_153252-1.jpg
    londoncolin and Drawarms like this.
  2. fibonacci086 Dec 14, 2016

3. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Dec 14, 2016

4. abrod520 Dec 14, 2016

The bezel is a tachymetre - it's meant for measuring speed over a set distance. Give that a Google and find out more

It means the bezel is original, from the proper era. Because that bezel design was shared with other desirable Speedmaster references, they are now very sought after.

Good question, and I don't think anyone knows why. However, these bezels were likely produced by outside suppliers under contract to Omega rather than Omega themselves, and quality control in the 1960s was not what it is today!

Yes.

The chronograph. The top pusher starts and stops, the bottom pusher resets to zero.

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  5. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Dec 14, 2016

Thankyou for such clear explanations. Cheers!

6. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Dec 14, 2016

I'm supposed to be designing a concrete groundbeam for a stressed customer's foundations right now. If they knew I was googling Speedmaster stuff online they would bury me under the concrete!:( this stuff is addictive!

watchknut likes this.
  7. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Dec 14, 2016

From what I can see, the numbers appear to be obscured by some substance, dirt or maybe glue. Maybe the bezel insert became detached and was glued back on (in the wrong position). If this is in fact the case, take great care in cleaning. If you are planing a service, let the watchmaker perform the cleaning.

8. Drawarms Dec 14, 2016

a72e4ea2471b8d281c3f13bf94699cc7.gif

9. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Dec 14, 2016

Pretty soon your fee proposals for projects will list the watches you want for compensation instead of $$$.

10. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Dec 14, 2016

Yes I think you may be right. It does look a bit grime around the edge of the bezel. I'm gonna take it Swiss Time over in Essex and let them sort it out.

Thankyou for your reply.

11. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Dec 14, 2016

Yes that's a plan! Tax free???

12. MPWATCH Watch Lover Dec 14, 2016

Use the search tab on the top right of the forum to search "Tropical" and dive in, lots of discussion on this topic. I have personally made a thread with users posting examples of what they believe to be tropical or not. As far as your speedy goes, do the same exact thing until you've hammered down the basics. If you have specific questions that you have no luck finding through the search bar or internet, start up a thread and watch the experts roll through your issue. Lots of helping hands here, they just need to see effort on both ends!

Happy Hunting & Welcome to OF,

Thomas

13. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Dec 14, 2016

Ha! You should no HMRC better than that
    (Although watches don't attract inheritance tax)

14. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Dec 15, 2016

Thankyou!... I gotta say I find the 'digging around' on line process very enjoyable. Every time I check out an article I find out something else. For example the double stepped case backs. Stumbled across that one.

Great stuff.