Forums Latest Members
  1. kechke Jan 21, 2015

Hi, new member here. This site was recommended by Robert-Jan from Frattelo watches.
    I have a Speedmaster Professional that I purchased new 1967 in Vienna Austria.
    The timepiece was worn daily for a number of years and then put away about 15 years ago. Looking at it recently, I have found that I was unable to get the mainspring wound up.
    A local watchmaker has offered to repair it for 250.00 dollars. I really don't want to spend that much to get it fixed.
    Robert-Jan suggested that ask on this forum if any one knows of a Canadian repair facility that could do the repair for a more reasonable fee.
    Thanks in advance for any assistance.

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 21, 2015

250 is very cheap, give a '67 Speedy Pro is a valuable watch I'd be wanting to pay a bit more and get a full service done by someone that handles them frequently, that might sound expensive in the short term but screwing up a 321 moonwatch can cost a hell of a lot more than 250.

Archer likes this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 21, 2015

Not me! ;)

Cheers, Al

4. kechke Jan 21, 2015

Thanks for the speedy reply.
    I have been told that if I send it to an Omega certified repair facility that a full service done on the watch that some parts like the dial and hands may be replaced and reduce the value of the watch.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 21, 2015

I'd find a quality independent that works on 321 regularly, there's a few in the US I know of that could do a good job, I'm not familiar with many others in Canada.

6. kechke Jan 21, 2015

If you could recommend some I would appreciate it. I am near the Buffalo NY area on the Canadian side.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 21, 2015

Can you post some pics of the watch btw?

If you could do New York @MSNWatch might have a guy you could use

8. TNTwatch Jan 21, 2015

The one who just said "Not me" two posts above you is reputed to be the best and just happens to live very close to you - may actually be your neighbour. Wait time is long but much shorter than 15 years. :)

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 21, 2015

If Al can't do it, there is also Shane Ede in Toronto:

http://watch-repairs.vrx.net/

I've heard good things about his work, but it's been awhile. So you'll want to check further.
    gatorcpa

10. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jan 21, 2015

Call European Time in Oakville, Ontario. I'll bet the skill is there and he seems to have very fair prices.

905-469-0687

good luck!

11. kechke Jan 21, 2015

Now that you mention Shane Ede I remember he fixed a Russian MIG 15 chronometer for an acquaintance a few years ago. Ill try him as well as the others suggested.
    Thanks gentlemen, much appreciated.

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 21, 2015

I also want to eat, so if he wants it at "less than $250" then as I said, not me. :)

I honestly don't think I would trust anyone who is charging that little to touch a 321...

Cheers, Al

cholack, Northernman, STANDY and 5 others like this.
  13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 21, 2015

Some people have to learn the hard way. I doubt anyone will do the full service necessary for that price, but if all it needs is a replacement mainspring (highly unlikely), then he should check with whomever he wants.

Be well,
    gatorcpa

cholack likes this.
  14. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 21, 2015

It needs a full service after sitting in a drawer for 15 years. Even if you find someone competent to change the mainspring for <$250, running it without proper attention to the rest is, IMO, not a good idea.

Fritz likes this.
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 21, 2015

I don't normally comment on pricing discussions, but in this case I'll make an exception.

To replace the mainspring, you essentially have to disassemble the entire movement on a 321 or 861, so at that point it should be serviced anyway, let alone after sitting for 15 years. He can certainly check with whoever he wants, but as I said for that sort of money, it won't be me. To do the job right, it requires more time than $250 buys, at least in my shop.

I know it's quite common on here (and on other forums) to tell people what they should pay for a service. Now I understand people are just trying to help when others ask, and I'm quite sure there is no ill will involved at all, so I'm not complaining about this or suggesting it should stop. But I do admit it's a bit odd seeing people constantly telling others what they should pay me (and others like me) for my services.

I don't know what most people here do for a living, but I know there are some lawyers and accountants here, and this is like me going on forums where they are discussed (if there is such a thing) and saying "You should only pay $40/hour max. for any accountant or lawyer." Let's just say I know my two cousins who are brothers, one an accountant and one a lawyer, would disagree with that in a big way. ;)

Markets are different, levels of skill and service are certainly different, overheads and costs are different, so there is no one price anyone will charge for a service. Watchmakers (and accountants/lawyers) are free to charge whatever they want for their services, and the market will tell them if they are not correctly priced. I don't think based on feedback from my clients, or the amount of work I have, and specifically the amount that I turn away every day, that my prices are out of line for the services I provide. So again, I'll pass on people looking for bargain work.

Cheers, Al

luzer, Geo!, Spike and 6 others like this.
  16. kechke Jan 21, 2015

The local watchmaker opened the watch when I was there and said the inside looked very good and that it had a broken main spring.
    As for sitting fifteen years what I meant was that is was not used daily but did get worn and wound occasionally.

17. Hijak Jan 21, 2015

Was it serviced in the last five to seven years? If not it needs a service!

18. repoman Jan 21, 2015

kechke, I understand your interest getting your watch back into working condition without having spend a lot of money, that's perfectly reasonable, I've been in your shoes, with the same watch, and the same desire. I too was surprised the first time I got a quote for a full mechnical servicing, but that is because I didn't understand what that entails, and how much work and expertise are required. Forgive me for saying things you may already understand perfectly well, but I'll do so in order to potentially spare a valuable vintage Speedmaster from getting ruined.

You have a very valuable and important watch here (overall condition is a factor in value, but even if the watch is really rough, its still valuable). The first thing I would suggest is: Please please please do not send this watch to Omega for servicing. Omega will service your watch with the goal of making it as functionally "new" as possible. They will replace any "worn" parts, like the dial, hands, crown, pushers, and bezel. They will polish your case, etc.... all of this devalues your watch - BY A LOT! It takes a watch that is unique, and original, and turns it into something completely different, and frankly, less special. If you want a like new Speedmaster, go buy a like new Speedmaster and leave this one original.

Next, you said your watch hasn't been serviced in 15 years, so its no surprise mechanically it needs a little help. A watch this valuable, should be fully serviced; it likely has other worn parts, and the lubrication is non-existent. You may be shocked initially at the cost of a full servicing (I was the first time I sent a watch in for servicing) but when you take a step back and see what is done, and how much work and how many hours goes into it, it will start to make sense. It takes someone with very special skills and a lot of experience to do this right. Also, your watch may be able to wind with a new main spring, but what happens after that if the rest of the watch mechanism wasn't touched? Answer - it won't run for long. Your watch needs a full service if you intend to use it.

What should you do if you can't afford the cost of a complete servicing, or simply don't want to spend that money now?.... I would wait, put the watch away until the time comes. Another option is to sell it, but I suspect it has sentimental value to you, and it would make an amazing legacy for the generation in your family. Bear in mind, replacement parts for these watches are starting to get more difficult to find, the sooner you service it, the more likely all the parts you need will be available. Folks on the forum here can give you very good recommendations on where to take the watch for servicing, with expert watchmakers that are trusted and will not rip you off. It won't be cheap, but what you will get back will dramatically increase the value of your watch, but more importantly, it will come back ready to put on your wrist and enjoy.

Good luck, let us know what you decide to do.

oh, and PLEASE POST PICTURES, we love seeing 60's Speedmasters out in the wild

Davidt likes this.
  19. John R Smith Jan 21, 2015

That watch has done amazingly well, and is a tribute to the quality of the Omega factory. The least you can do is give it a birthday now, after all these years . . . ;)

20. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jan 21, 2015

To put into perspective what Al is saying, here is a picture of all of the parts for a Cal 1040 that I am currently servicing - OK it is an automatic but it has a similar number of parts to a Cal 321:
    Pieces.jpg

Basically, you are talking about the better part of a day's labour, for a highly trained and skilled person, to service the watch; plus the time it takes to perform the tests and regulation/adjustment.

You then need to factor in the cost of finding and acquiring parts that are, in some cases, no longer made. The extent of the parts needed will depend on how well the watch has been looked after previously and if not serviced properly, this will increase heavily if you continue to use the watch after a bodged repair.

Many of us on this forum are professionals in our own fields and our companies charge thousands of Dollars per day for our time, so if you are paying less than $500 for a service on a 321, you have to ask yourself exactly what you are getting. Personally, I would consider $500 a lucky escape and would budget more like $1,000 to account for parts.